Titans Fall to Texans 34-31

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Sep 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goTitans.com

goTitans.com A living legend. Staff

SUMMARY: The Tennessee Titans fell to 0-2 with a 34-31 loss to the Houston Texans this afternoon. The loss spoiled a big day for Titans RB Chris Johnson who had 197 yards rushing, 87 yards receiving and three TDs. The Titans defense shut down the Texans running game as RB Steve Slanton was held to only 34 yards on 17 carries. However, Texans QB Matt Schaub threw for 357 yards and four touchdowns with a 127.8 passer rating. Andre Johnson had 149 yards receiving with two TDs. K Kris Brown kicked a 23-yard field goal in the closing minutes to give the Texans the late lead. On the following possession, Kerry Collins fumbled the ball on the Titans 35 with 1:42 left in the game which sealed the Texans first victory in September since 2007.

View full article
    What do you think about this story? post your comments below.

2. wycheck28

wycheck28 Starter

Wow I thought last weeks loss hurt?? I never would have thought Matt Schaub could make our defense look so bad. Our secondary really needs help especially when we face teams with 2 big explosive wide outs like Houston has. Schaub just lined up and threw the ball to who ever Finnegan wasn't covering and every team will use this game as a blue print on how to beat the titans. Thank god for Chris Johnson or we might have gotten beaten down in our own back yard.

3. eTitan81

eTitan81 Touchdown Titans

Our secondary hasn't looked anything like last year so far this season. Without Haynesworth or somebody up front putting pressure the secondary isn't gonna be as good. We seem to be able to stop the run but our secondary hasn't been doing as well as last season. We're gonna shut teams running game down and force them to throw the ball and when they do that they seem to move the ball pretty good.

Collins is very average. He isn't great by no means. No I'm not saying put Vince in. Just saying.

4. RTH

RTH Meh...

Actually... you could probably shorten that and make it better...

:yes:

5. ewoo

ewoo Starter

I agree that the secondary looked bad! But, Lets just call it like it is:
    1. Nick Harper is getting toasted way too much!
    2. Michael Griffin looked lost at times
    3. No pressure on the quarterback = waay too much time to cover receivers, Chuck Cecil!
    Even all that is besides the point! With two minutes to go and the Texans holding a 3 point lead, whether the score is 34-31, or 3-0, all this team has to do is score a touchdown to win, or a field goal to tie with no time remaining!
    Kerry Collins, what was he THINKING? You never run with the ball holding it like a loaf of bread and that int he threw earlier gave up 7 pts! He's killing this team with his untimely turnovers! Plus, he's done it the past 3 games!
    The defense can be fixed with one phone call! Bud Adams should call Adam Jones, write him a contract where all he can do is play football and go home! Load it with incentives as well to insist that he behaves! He is the cornerback we need as well as the punt returner and the kick returner! Put Vince Young in! He had a much better preseason than Collins anyway! VY is that type of guy that just wins games!

6. titan_fan_4ever

titan_fan_4ever Titans Rule

that is where the real problem lies. no sacks no pressure.

on the side....did ant1 notice Antwan odems 5 sack performance against the usually solid packers o-line.....

7. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Yesterday was an enigma. We had them down 21-7, and in 1:27 blew coverage on Johnson for 7, then Collins corked an INT with nobody around and Jacoby Jones made a hell of a catch to tie the game back at 21-21. THAT is when the game turned.

I am a disappointed and concerned as most of you guys but I see the following from this year's team so far:

1. Our players (especially our secondary) are making CRITICAL mental mistakes.
    2. Our D-line simply can't get pressure with 4 down-lineman. The Haynesworth factor was a lot more significant than any of the coaches appear to admit.
    3. Cecil needs to improve his ability to adjust. NO SACKS? That should have been addressed at half time with a couple of different looks AND/OR blitz packages.
    4. Texans schemed well and Schaub did play well. He seldom held the ball more than 2-3 seconds. They also made the big plays when they had to.
    5. Our D scheme got roasted. We played 8-10 yards off of Johnson to avoid getting burned and we got burned underneath. Let's face it- AJ versus almost any CB in that situation and AJ will win 99%. Harper is older/slower, but we didn't have our best CB assigned to him on the majority of plays.
    6. Our O scheme wasn't great except for CJ's big plays. Where was LenDale? We could have used him to drive the chains/eat the clock more than we did.
    7. What you saw is what you are going to get with Collins the rest of the season. I think it is good enough as long as we scheme CLOCK EATING drives when we play potent offenses. CJ's big plays scored us points, but gave the ball back to the other team with little time off the clock. Jared Cook was a disappointment yesterday-the ankle must still be significant.

Yesterday was DEFINITELY a catalyst for the season. I am hoping the players tighten up as a team, but it could go the other way and this team roll over like they did in 04 and 05. It is up to the veterans like KVB, Bulluck, Harper, Mawae to frame the minds of the young

The Texans came in, never gave up and won the game. They should be congratulated.

Let's not forget that we started 0-4 in the 02 season and made the play-offs. It certainly isn't out of the question and Fisher knows how to get the team out of the hole. I see this team in the play-offs IF we get our D on the same page and make some scheme adjustments to match our personnel's skills.

• High Five High Five x 1
  8. RTH

RTH Meh...

Actually... I believe it was 7. :eek:

9. titan_fan_4ever

titan_fan_4ever Titans Rule

nah it was 5 ....hes leadin the nfl with 7 overall. they have a highlight for his sacks. should be watched he owned the left tackle....

i made a mistake in my first post, i didnt kno their left tackle was injured so it was the backup but still...he owned him ridiculously (and from the commentator is saying...looked to have been all day pressure from him)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar