Titans, Henry Contract talks hit a snag

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by bulluck4dMVP, Feb 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. It's entirely possible we'd consider re-signing him after we cut him if no one gives him a better offer. But d think he's more likely to sign elsewhere in that scenario. There are other teams with more of an immediate need at RB who I expect would be more willing to pony up the money to bring him to town.

2. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Don't you think Reinfeldt wants to keep him but is letting the market determine his value? Obviously, he doesn't think (and neither do I) he isn't worth the 8 million roster bonus, but I believe he'll match any offer around 5 million of up front.

Anybody know if Henry still loves Tennessee and still wants to play here, ya..ya..ya .... like he said when he was in drug trouble?

3. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

My gut tells me that this may be the case with a ton of free agents. It's a feeding frenzy right now and every UFA thinks they are going to hit it big.

I wouldn't be shocked to see very few teams resign any of their UFAs until they hit the market and can gauge value.

4. I think it's more likely both sides have a value in mind and they aren't close enough to meet in the middle (or perhaps just not yet). If the Titans really want to keep him and they are close, they will agree to a new contract before they have to cut him due to the bonus. Once he hits free agency, he probably isn't coming back.

And because we drafted LenDale White last year, I think we will not need to overspend for Henry. Keeping Henry means that White will never become the starter and will end up a wasted draft pick. I don't think they will let that happen. I think Henry will be gone, White will be the starter, and they will add backups through the draft (and possibly free agency for a veteran backup).

5. I actually think it's the opposite. If a team really wants to keep a player, they will need to sign him before he hits free agency. Otherwise, it's likely that some team will throw tons of money at that player. That's what happens when you have so many teams with lots of free cap space and a pretty bare free agent crop. The guys who normally would get pretty average contracts are now going to get a whole lot more...

Now, there are certainly some players who are pie in the sky and think they are going to get more money than they really are. And that's why guys aren't signing to stay yet. So a few of them will end up re-signing when they don't get the attention they expected, but I think that your odds of keeping that player drop when you have to bid against 31 other teams. It only takes 1 team to outbid you...

6. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

It'll be interesting to see what happens later this week.

I'd like to know the average UFAs resigned by their current team in the last five years vs. what happens this year when this all shakes out.

7. I have no idea where to find those numbers, unfortunately...

8. Bobo

Bobo Guest

That's not the only option. White may be the reason he's a wasted draft pick. White may get plenty of touches and play well. Henry may get hurt. Henry may only play here a few more years. It doesn't have to be one or the other.

9. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

We all know Fishers theory on rookies.

LenBuddha won't see time until year 3.

10. But if they keep Henry, then they expect him to be the starter for a few years. That leaves LenDale on the 2nd string for the remainder of his contract. I don't think the Titans will do that, personally...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar