Titans, Henry Contract talks hit a snag

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by bulluck4dMVP, Feb 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sledge

Sledge Guest

Actually, you only need to dish out $3,500 :)

2. oochymp

oochymp Camp Fodder

the same guy who put a $50 mil bonus in McNair's contract :suspect:

3. Sledge

Sledge Guest

How about Buffalo? Heck, they probably regretted letting him go after that game this year anyways, so let them overpay him. Then let's trade them their 3rd rounder back and get Willis :grrhee:

4. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

I agree with SK. Giving Henry a well-deserved multi-year contract sends the wrong message about White's development and expectation for the future. We spent a 3 on Henry to fill a hole. We spent a 2 on White to be the guy at some point. I wouldn't mind paying Henry well for say two more years, but I'm starting to think that $8.3 is going to be prohibitive to our negotiations. That number is what Henry and his agent are going to look to clean upfront this year at least. The only way we can balance that is by giving him more years and a guaranteed amount of money. They may plan to give him a deal now and cut him later -- that's planning for a cap hit you know you're going to take -- but their best tactic is to "put him in his place" value-wise, and get him to take a very team-friendly deal, which is kind of insulting. The biggest points working for us are: A) he's had two "bad" or "off" seasons versus only one good one; B) he's one strike away from a year suspension; and C) we're the team that gave him his chance at redemption, for whatever that's worth. He and his agent will have to see it from the Titans POV that the $8.3M roster bonus was simply to bring them back to the table for renegotiation. If they can get them to see that, they have a chance to do something reasonable. I think it'll come down to how much sympathy they can get from Henry and his agent at the bargaining table. For my money, though, I'm betting we are looking at every scenario that includes a team without Henry. This will be a good first look at the new front office under Reinfeldt, to see if they retain Henry at a fair or inflated price and what their move looks like given the time they have to do it within.

5. Actually, whoever actually negotiated the contract (Underwood?) got him to play for almost nothing in 2006 after playing for cheap in 2005. We got a ton of mileage out of that contract and don't have to shell out any big bucks should we choose not to...

6. And the $50M bonus was inconsequential, so it worked out well...

7. oochymp

oochymp Camp Fodder

that bonus forced us to get rid of him, as it appears this $8 mil bonus might do with Henry

8. How did that bonus force us to get rid of him? He was still on the roster for months after they declined it...

9. oochymp

oochymp Camp Fodder

It just complicated negotiations and made it very difficult to get him back, although the main mistake made in that situation was closing him out of the training facility

10. No, his $8M base salary is what made it difficult to bring him back. Both sides knew the $50M bonus was meaningless when they agreed to it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar