Rumor Titans interested in Nick Foles

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by lilkhmerkid4u, Jan 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thaddeus43

Thaddeus43 Sunshiner President

No one is saying that it will happen ... that is just what it would take to move from 20 all the way to #2.

Its not easy to move up to the top, and as seen in the past, you have to pay dearly for it. Titans should not accept anything less than a kings ransom for the pick, or we will be the chumps in this deal.

I agree that Mariota is a bumass, and I don't want anything to do with him, but it only takes 1 coach/GM to think differently and we could have suitor. Just look at Tim Tebow or Johnny Manziel ... Most teams probably wouldn't have touched them in the 1st 2 or 3 rounds, but it only took 1 dumb GM that fell in love with the player to reach in rd 1 ... no reason to think that a team wouldn't fall in love with Mariota and try to trade up for him.

We know that Chip loves him, the question is how much?

2. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

Trading for Foles isn't actually that bad of an idea. My first thought was this gives Mett more of a push to improve next season. Also, considering the history of this franchise and QB health, having another pretty good QB is a smart move. I do think Foles benefited from the system (every QB does) but I've seen him enough to know he can still hold his own with any other team.

As far as the trade goes. Unless we start smoke screening Mariota to the Titans, the Eagles know they don't have to trade up that high for him. We would have to come in and say, hey we'll take Foles off your hands and you're guaranteed Mariota with the 2nd pick. If we could swap picks, grab at least 2 more picks this year, their 1st next year, and another pick or two then I would do that trade. I'll be upset over no Leonard Williams or Amari Cooper (just my personal dream) but it's a smart move. We load up on picks, get another QB to at least push Mett, and sets us up very nicely in next year's draft.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. titanbaknedkly

titanbaknedkly Starter

I don't think anyone has to worry about not having trade partners if TN decides to trade the pick. Between the Jets, Rams, and Browns we will have options. There could also be other trade options as well with Washington and Chicago possibly if they were decide to move on from their QBs. There are quite a few teams this year with new coaches and GMs and they are going to want their own guy to sink or swim with. Cutler has already gotten many fired by himself. Don't believe for a minute if Chicago could unload that contract and get another guy in to replace him they wouldn't. There are not any elite QB prospects this year outside of Winston and Mariota and there are not any QBs in FA this year worth anything. Also, next year's QB class isn't looking like anything special, which would make teams look to get one this year.

Personally, I don't see what all the hype in wanting Foles is about. This is Kevin Kolb syndrome all over again. He is average at best. I don't see anyone clamoring about wanting Mark Sanchez, although in Kelly's system he put up the same numbers if not better. His rookie season and last year is what Foles is. His 2013 year was an aberration being that teams didn't know what to expect from him being most scouting was done with Vick as QB. He came in an took advantage of a new offensive system with no tape on him in that system. 2014 showed what Foles is, which is no more than what Sanchez is. On top of that you are trading for a QB with only 1 year left on his contract so he is out from TN anyway unless you plan on signing him to a big contract.

I would just as well draft Winston if there and have a potential franchise QB for the next several years at a cheap price. If Mettenberger and Winston both prove to have elite play then trade one, probably Mettenberger and get a good haul like Philly did with Kolb and SF did with Smith. If Tampa takes Winston then trade Mariota for a big haul since he probably wouldn't play in Wiz's offense. I could actually see TB doing the trade with Philly and trying to get Foles and picks and players since they are on the threshold of having a good team. Players are in place with the exception of QB so to me it would be a mistake but let them make it.

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

And who is a player in this draft worth trading up to #2 to take?

5. 2ToneBlueBlood

2ToneBlueBlood Pro Bowler

It just takes one team to fall in love with a player and decide they can't live without him. The question isn't "Who's worth it?" the question is "Which team would do it?"

I dare say Miami moving up for Jordan hasn't worked as well as they had hoped. On the other hand, Atlanta making that huge move a few years ago to get Julio Jones has worked out nicely.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Foles is slightly better than what we have now, guy took a major step backwards last year.

7. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Yeah but who is worth a #2 in THIS draft. QB needy teams are the only ones remotely likely to trade with us. That's why I think we are going to have to take Mariota to parlay that pick into more picks or else reach for a player truly not worth a #2.

I don't see any other team coveting somebody at #2.

8. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Leonard Williams + Jurrell Casey through 2020!!!!!

• Winner Winner x 2
  9. Passepartout

Passepartout April Showers!

Zach Mettenberger before he went down. Really showed a bit promise. Question is can he be durable? Need to find a QB that can be durable and play hurt.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

We would never do that. We could trade back to #6 with the Jets and get their 1st and 2nd this year and 1st next year (and know that first will be GOOD!!!).

Foles struggled mightily without the run game clicking on all cylinders and I wouldn't give up the difference between a huge haul of picks for Matthews and Cox. And if they were to lose Maclin in FA, Matthews to us and Cox and they didn't have their 2nd rnd pick, they'd be shooting themselves in the foot.

I think a more realistic scenario would be for them to work out a deal with the Rams for Foles and stuff to swap first rnd picks. Only advantage the Eagles have is they could have several suitors for Foles so the Rams probably can't full value for the trade back so lets say they can move up for Foles and a conditional pick in 2016 (depending on how well or poorly Foles plays).

We could probably get pick #10 plus their 1st, 2nd , 3rd this season and their 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in 2016.....and throw in Jordan Matthews!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar