Titans Looking to Draft Playmakers

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by goTitans.com, Apr 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rebel Titan

Rebel Titan Oiler Cannon Ball

2. That's not really true. Guys like Westbrook, Tiki Barber, Warrick Dunn, Thomas Jones, Reggie Bush, Willie Parker, Barry Sanders, Marshall Faulk, Charlie Garner, Dave Meggett, etc...

What is more of a concern is that just about all of those guys had great quickness rather than just blazing speed. Johnson's quickness isn't on par with most of those guys, but it's not as if he's a straight line runner like Michael Bennett either.

I think Johnson is worth a 2nd round pick, but I just don't know about a #1. His speed certainly makes him a contender and he could be an impact player as a return man and a receiver. But I probably wouldn't take him at #24.

3. PAtitansfan53

PAtitansfan53 Kush & OJ

Haha I don't think your really got his post on Mayo.

4. PAtitansfan53

PAtitansfan53 Kush & OJ

If we did take a RB at #24 it better be Felix Jones. While I'm a little skeptical of him I think he's what were looking for in terms of playmakers but RB isn't a huge concern but he would make a considerable impact and be an awsome 1-2 punch with L-Dub.

I'm also starting to warm up to D-Jax as our pick. He's not my first choice but I wouldn't be upset at all. Great return man would bring that same element Pac had on ST. As a reciever he is underrated very much. He's a small guy but he seperates well, has very good speed and burst, and that quick-twitch athleticism. He has sure hands and can make the tough catch. Note he's been working with Jerry Rice on how to escape the jam at the next level and Rice is very high on him.

If a guy like Merling, Harvey, or a top CB is there they also need to be considered.

5. Ubiq

Ubiq BAMF

As long as LenDale keeps coming into camp fat & out of shape, he is a mistake. Sure he had a decent year last year, but an out of shape body just won't be able to hold up too long in the NFL. He did start having knee problems at the end of last season. Now, if he comes into camp 20-30 pounds lighter then my opinion might change of him. Until then, he's a turd.

It's too early too tell with Chris Henry, but my cup is definitely half empty with him. I'm thinking the FO may be feeling the same way.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/THu7VvAquho&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/THu7VvAquho&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

I mean, c'mon, an NFL caliber running back should be able to see that!

6. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

I'd bet my house and 401K that Johnson is much better as a KR and 3rd down back and the only reason the Titans will even consider a RB early is because Henry can't walk through a door without getting tackled. Also, Johnson actually was productive his senior year and IMO isn't that much different than Felix Jones. Granted the Titans over estimated Henry's workout numbers for his size but at least Johnson has some highlights in college.
    Now if Dinger thinks Henry has what it takes to be a 3rd down back (it would be criminal to let him return anymore kicks) I could see us picking a guy like Rice or Smith to be the #2 back. Also, when we are talking about a guy who runs a 4.24 we are talking about elite speed. Not just fast.

7. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

I'd add Priest Holmes to that list as well.
    I also think Johnson has a decent chance of being closer to Willie Parker, a guy maybe without the shiftiness of Barry Sanders (who does) but a guy who can accelerate to top speed very quickly. Parker is only 5'10, 209 and wasn't much of a factor at all in college and went undrafted. Johnson is actually very strong for his size and his broad jump, 10'10" is ridiculous (almost everyone else is around 10') demonstrating the strength to break out of arm tackles. Just as an example of how explosive Johnson is his 10 yard split was 1.40 seconds. Workout warrior Chris Henry's split was 1.56. even McFadden's 10 yard split was 1.50. .1 seconds in the first 10 yards is significant. Desean Jackson's 10 yard split was 1.53. Johnson isn't just some chump who was able to dominate against poor competition, the kid is very talented and IMO whoever drafts him will be getting a gem. We better pray the Colts don't somehow get this guy.

8. I'd be all for trading down and taking him, I'm just not sold on him in the 1st round...

And yes, I think the Willie Parker comparison is reasonable. But he's also the only guy on that list who is a straight line speed guy and less quick. Successful scatbacks tend to be extremely quick moreso than just fast.

9. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I think there are too many egos over at BSP for them to admit either was a bad pick. With a new RB coach, I bet they think he can turn the lights on for Henry if he gets a full training camp to work with him.

The bet that the Titans don't take a RB on day one stands. ;)

10. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

I'd take CJ at 54 in a second

unless Jonathan Stewart falls to 24
    which I would then take Earl Bennett @ 54

I could find some happiness if:

DeSean Jackson / Chris Johnson
    or
    Jonathan Stewart / Earl Bennett

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar