Titans Looking to Increase Speed at LB

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Feb 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goTitans.com

goTitans.com A living legend. Staff

SUMMARY: Titans GM Floyd Reese said entering the offseason that increasing the speed a the linebacker position was one of his goals this offseason. "The linebacker group is probably as good or better than we've seen for a number of years," Reese said. "Across the board, it's not only a good senior class, but some juniors that are coming out will fill in nicely." That means the only LB currently on the Titans roster who looks safe is Keith Bulluck. The type of LB is important to consider as well. "Adding speed at the position is important if you are willing to give up some size, but it is hard," Reese said. "If you plan on going out and scoring a lot of points you can be like Indy. But if not you almost have to find some kind of a balance there."

What do you think about this article? Post your comments below.

2. maximus

maximus Starter

They should look into signing Ray Thompson a former UT Vol LB who is fast and a FA. He would come cheap as he spent last year out of the NFL. It couldnt hurt for him to be signed for the Vet min and if he didnt work out, cut him after training camp

3. nigel

nigel Back on the bus

When has that kinda deal ever worked out for us? :winker:

4. maximus

maximus Starter

Let me think,hmmm, some guy with a funky name, what was it again, oh, KVB:winker:

5. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

i bet D'Qwell is given a long look in the second round

6. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Peter sirmon...

He counts $5.5M against our salary cap. We can save $3.3M of that by letting him go. Should we do that or is sirmon our answer at MLB?

There are some quality free agents out there. June and thornton from the colts. Julian peterson. Hey rocky calmus is available! The draft is april 29th so we do have time to see what we will get and then decide who will be released. The release cut off day is 6/1.

Seems like we should do well with a linebacker in rd 2. Plenty of solid players will still be available then.

7. metal957

metal957 Starter

Thats what I am talkin about get him and cut Sirmon and sign another Vet that can play football because Sirmon looked like crap last year.

8. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

Cato June ..... hmmm......
    5 ints / 2 td's / 100 total tackles ..... last year

hmmmmmm.........

9. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

So if you are planning on scoring 35 points a game you can have fast LBs? If you are planning to score only 14 points a game you have to have a balance there? Indy was 11th in the NFL in total defense last year. I'm not sure what the heck Reese is saying. I understand that you have to have a little more size to stop the run but we had bigger, slower players and sucked against the run. Indy did OK against the run. Get some decent safties to go along with the LBs and you can do both, stop the run and play the pass.

10. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

two of those picks were against alex smith.

i'm a d'qwell man, although i've been a big fan of drafting hawk in the first.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar