Titans Lose Preseason Opener to Saints 19-16

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Aug 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

Well Brown doesn't get to use the excuse of poor blocking (see debate in another thread) so I won't extend that courtesy to Henry either. But you're right his goalline run(s) should probably not factor into the equation, but they don't really change his performance that much.

And just to get all the numbers out in the open, here are their respective runs:
    Brown: 4, 2, 2, 3, 1, 5, 7, 21, 2
    Henry: 0, 2, 9, 2, 3, 0, 1, 0, 5, 1

2. nendzone

nendzone All Titans, All the Time

Just because they were playing behind the same line doesn't mean every play was blocked equally well.

What I think Henry does better than Brown is continue after first contact. It's why I think he can be a better short-yardage back for them.

Of course, White may ultimately be the best at that, with more big-play ability than Henry has.

He's showing himself to be a pretty good FG kicker, too. It's not like he had any problem with the other three kicks, when the snaps were not way too high. Even the 48-yarder was pretty much right down the center with room to spare.

It was a bad snap, and bad snaps lead directly to bad kicks. Especially when the kicker has to go for real distance and can't afford to have a hitch in his approach waiting for the holder to bring the ball back down.

Even Amato seemed to take the blame as they were coming off the field, when he slapped hands with Bironas.

3. Blazing Arrow

Blazing Arrow The 12th man

Eddie George announced the game. Or the replay on NFL network has him as as the color guy. It is being replayed right now.

4. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Brown played fairly well. I'm not sure what fans expect? Brown carried on the first 4 plays the Titans ran and had runs of 4,2,2 and 3 before Voleks incomplete pass that resulted in their first punt. Browns 2nd run was a converted 2nd and 1 play after a 5 yard offsides play by the defense.

The next time the Titans had the ball Brown ran for 1 and 5 yards which left a reasonable 3rd and 4. Volek then had two complete passes before Brown's final two runs of 7 and 21 yards. In less than one quarter of play Brown had almost 50 yards rushing and we have fans saying they were not "overly impressed". I guess averaging over 5.0 yards per carry and being on pace for a 200 yard game isn't enough for some fans.

5. moose4now

moose4now Starter

Agreed.

6. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

In regular season we will see if Brown can finish a game. If he can have 150+ yards and thirty carries that will be enough. He can't and he won't and that's why we have all these backs that will run by committee. Also, I was unimpressed by Brown. I was not "overly impressed" with Vince Young. One day, I would like the RB of this team to be high atop the fantasy draft lists, the Envy of half the leagues fans. That would be enough for me. Or maybe a twelve win season. I don't think I'd moan and fuss about our starting rb if we were coming off a 12 win season. That might be enough to get me off the "End the Chris Brown Era" party train. :lol:

7. moose4now

moose4now Starter

You want to be the envy of half the league's fans? A tewlve win season would take care of that.

At it'd be more than sufficient for me, right now. :rolleyes:

8. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

How about winning a championship? That's all that matters to me, NO, KC and SD can keep their fantasy runningbacks, I just want to win, and I believe Brown gives us a better a chance of that than any of the other runningbacks on our roster right now.

9. Bobo

Bobo Guest

Wow that makes about 3 of us :lol:

10. Bobo

Bobo Guest

I thought Chris played pretty well. Same old Chris really. Not getting a lot of yards after contact despite being 10 lbs heavier (I don't think he'll ever be a power runner), but he still does things well.

He's got great vision and can slip through small creases. Excellent blocker. He's not a very quick footed guy, but he has a great burst. Let's say he's a 5 speed transmission. 1st gear is ok. 2nd, 3rd, and 4th have great acceleration. 5th is ok like 1st, he doesn't have elite speed.

He's a really unique back, and I like what he brings especially with the styles of the other backs. I think we have to be willing to use each guy to their strengths most of the time and we'll have a good group of RB's imo....for awhile anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar