Titans love Cooper-Confirmed by mulitple reports

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by KyTitansFan, Apr 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler Starter

I can't for the life of me understand these people who would be ecstatic if we take a guard at 10.

Need a potential defensive difference-maker with a premium pick like this, not an interior offensive lineman.

• High Five High Five x 3
  2. SlidePiece

SlidePiece Starter

If the rumored run on LT's does happen, and a QB is taken top 9, there will likely be someone there that will have Ruston take all of 30 seconds to hand the card in. And I don't think that someone will be a Guard.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. HeadOnASwivel

HeadOnASwivel Pro Bowler

That line of thought brought us Eugene Amano and Leroy Harris.

4. HeadOnASwivel

HeadOnASwivel Pro Bowler

A lot of you are missing the fact that the top players in this years draft have question marks. I can't recall a draft where there are so many risky, potential type guys at the top of the draft. Let's see we're talking about a guy, Ziggy Ansah, who has played football for 3 years and had next to no college production going as high as number 2! Tavon Austin, a 175 pound slot receiver in the top 10! An offensive tackle who was a QB, then was a TE, then moved to OT and played what less than a season being drafted in the top 7, in Lane Johnson! Even Dion Jordan is a converted TE, and doesn't have amazing college numbers, heck he dropped in coverage much of the time. And lets not forget to mention Gino Smith who is extremely risky in the top 10.

Historically the safest picks in the first round have always been offensive lineman, so maybe this isn't the worst year to grab one, knowing that there is little risk in doing so.

To me this isn't really about the position we draft, I feel that whatever is drafted must directly help in Locker's development. We all saw the affect of a poor middle of an offensive line will have on him, not to mention almost zero quality depth, so when injuries crept in or offense spiraled out of control.

With no threat of a running game teams teed off on Locker. Look we have the horses to compete at a high level. When healthy Britt is basically uncoverable, and Nate is a smart vet that knows how to run routes. Wright is really going to breakout this year, I believe, we all saw some great potential from him last season. CJ can obviously dominate at times, and can hit a home run from anywhere on the field. If we just give Locker protection and CJ some decent running lanes this offense will be light years better.

I'd be more than happy taking Cooper or Warmack knowing full well that Locker will be better for it, CJ will be better for it and our offense as a whole won't be an embarrassment. We must still improve the o-line and build quality depth there in case we get killed with injuries.

1. Cooper or Warmack
    2. Best corner on the board
    3. Brian Schwenke, C, California

I want a draft that supports Locker, and I think the F.O. does as well.

5. xhrr

xhrr Starter

I'm all for it depending upon how the first 9 picks pan out. This is not a premium pick btw this draft on paper is not top heavy in the least bit. Which is why for once I'm all for trading down under the right circumstances.

6. Thaddeus43

Thaddeus43 Sunshiner President

Most of our top 10 haven't panned out lately (VY, pacman, jury is still out on Locker) , so I would be fine going with a sure bet. Picking a DE like Ansah, or a WR or whatever has a high chance of busting IMO. Let's just take a pick that is almost guaranteed to work out, in a position of need.

Also, if we ever want Locker to become a franchise QB we need to surround him with talent. We can't ignore the holes on offense and expect Locker to progress like we want him too

7. TitansWrath

TitansWrath Pro Bowler

For the record, I want milliner or ansah or star.

Butfrom what i read, warmack has s seating undue to the point that he has trouble at the end of games, and is so dumb, that you have to put s smart guy next to him.

If we go guard, which i how we don't, I'm leaning cooper. More athletic. Smarter. More versatile.

8. SlidePiece

SlidePiece Starter

Does Andy Levitre not do anything here? Do we have to sign the best Guard in free agency, to a monster deal, and spend the 10th overall pick on a Guard to adequately improve the O Line?

These Guard hawks always skip right over the biggest free agent signing this team has ever made in Andy Levitre. Does he not vastly improve that spot, especially considering where we were last year? If we had not signed him, then yes, proceed in drafting the hell out of Guards. But is it not possible to pick a Guard within the first three rounds, and still field a very good/capable O line? We already have four good/very good players there, and we now have much better depth at the very least with the signing of Spencer and Turner. The Offensive line is vital yes, but we have also fielded a good O Line before and have lost plenty of games while doing it. This year was really our first dose of terrible O Line play. 2011 was getting there, but we still could protect the QB.

My point is, the team only has so many opportunities to improve in one offseason. From the best I could tell, O line wasn't our only problem. So we sign Levitre to a huge deal and spend our 10th overall pick on a guard, but haven't done much of anything to remedy one of the worst defenses in the history of football. You can talk about the addition of Greg Williams all you want, but there is zero talent, beyond the LB's, on that side of the ball. This team is in serious need of a difference makers of both sides of the ball, beyond the Guard position.

If Ruston feels that drafting a Guard at 10 makes this team playoff bound, I can get behind it, because I trust his drafting ability. But I just do not see it after the Levitre signing and the overwhelming lack of talent throughout this team.

9. Clark

Clark #ShoutboxAlley4Life

Second round guard preferable. We got issues with the secondary to attack in the first.

10. Clark

Clark #ShoutboxAlley4Life

Actually I don't think we are that talent-less.

We have two #2 CBs. A lazy FS, 2 SS that havnt played a down as a Titan, a Dline that needs a mean streak. No DE depth.

So frankly, it's between 1a and 1b. De or Cb. Guard is a front (hopefully)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar