Titans management

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TNThunder, Jan 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TNThunder

TNThunder Guest

I don't know the structure of the Titans. If someone does I wish they would post it. Sometimes teams have GM's that have full control of players selected. Some teams even have the GM making assistant coaching selections also. I believe Fisher does have control of his coaches, but I am not for certain. That being said, I would assume that Fisher does have control of overseeing defensive schemes and players. He may not get to choose his players, but he can decide which ones to play. Now a coach can get into a powerplay with the GM, and play someone the GM drafted, even if he knows he isn't that good. Then it comes down to the owner to decide which one is making the mistake. The GM can blame the coaching, the coach can blame the GM. The owner gets to decide where the problem lies. I suspect when Fisher redoes his contract, he may push for more say in that area. The flip side of the coin is that Fisher has been known to hold onto veterans beyond their prime. To finish my reply, Fisher played under Buddy Ryan at Chicago. He knows defense. I would have to believe everything Swartz does under him is with his approval. This will be an interesting off year if his contract does get restructured.

2. Basically, Reese controls the personnel (drafting, FAs, cuts, etc...) and Fisher controls the coaching and who plays. Reese is often willing to get what Fisher wants, but not all the time.

Underwood is now the team president and when Reese and Fisher disagree on something he can make the final decision (which is what Jeff Diamond used to do). And, of course, whatever Bud wants, he gets...

3. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Fisher has full control of the coaching staff and the players on the field. Everything Schwartz and Chow does is rubber stamped by him.

4. TNThunder

TNThunder Guest

So does Fisher just give Reese a "want list" of needs and they go from there? Does Fisher evaluate talent at all, or just coach what is given him?

5. Fisher has input on what he wants and Reese generally tried to get it. But they have differing opinions at times, especially regarding the draft. Often they want 2 different players and Reese either takes the guy he thinks is best (like in the case of McNair instead of Kevin Carter) or he throws Fisher a bone.

As for Fisher's talent evaluation, I don't know how much of that he does. I'm sure he does some, but not to what extent.

6. 10ECTyrant

10ECTyrant What! Tip Jar Donor

I believe the talent is evaluated and info is given to fisher and he says who best fits the schemes.

7. TNThunder

TNThunder Guest

Being a "fly on the wall" in one of those meetings would be more fun than watching a preseason game. I wonder when Bud told Fish he was taking Vince if Fish went "This changes EVERYTHING"......lol.

8. TNThunder

TNThunder Guest

Now that Reese and Smith are gone, this thread might get interesting. Was Fisher playing LT to make Reese look bad?

9. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Well...

In general, the coordinators decide which players are playing for what plays and who does what. It is their job to decide who starts, who plays nickel and dime in different packages, ect.

If Fisher did this for offense, defense and special teams, he'd be working many more hours than their are in a day. Since I'm not on the coaching staff of the Titans, I can't say for certain that Fisher doesn't decide explicitly who plays and who sits on offense, defense, special teams and all packages (of which their are a lot), but it is unreasonable to think he does the work of 3 coordinators as well as his headcoaching responsibilities.

For example, when Belicheck was the DC for the Giants and they were preparing their D for the Bills in the Super Bowl, Parcells didn't decide which players started and which ones didn't, Belicheck did. And that's saying something because Belicheck completely changed his starting personel in a way that NO ONE has ever done before nor after.

In general, the head coach discusses strategy with the coordinators so everyone's on the same page and Fisher would certainly have input, but he's not designing the schemes. We do know that he will interject a playcall here and there, but he also doesn't call the offense or defenses fulltime.

If the point of this is who is to blame for LT and others starting, I believe you point the finger at two people. JS for playing them and JF for not preventing them from being played. JF rubber stamps everything his coaching staff does so he can not escape blame.

However, JS could certainly have made adjustments to lessen the negative impact of the players exposed on our defense and he has not even tried to.

We can only hope the Titans find a good GM who will be able to manage the team better than Reese with regards to both talent and the cap. I hope he will also have some say over the assistants (be able to pressure JF to replace them) if they stink up the joint.

Gut

10. TNThunder

TNThunder Guest

I can't see that happening...if anything Fisher is going to have MORE control......whether that is good or bad remains to be seen. I just can't fathom Fisher sitting through 16 sessions of game film and not mentioning LT to JS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar