Titans need a playmaker at WR.....and who can catch...

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitansCountry25, Nov 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vnomus2

vnomus2 Camp Fodder

Calvin may end up being a good player, but imo I think we have bigger needs at S, CB, DE, OL than we do at WR. If we draft a WR in the top 10 which is probably where we are going to be drafting we are basically giving up on the three WRs we drafted two years ago. Also, when was the last time the titans drafted a WR in the first round? K. Dyson probably. Therefore, the titans don't often draft WR's early. Who currently in the NFL would you compare Calvin Johnson too? It seems to me that with recent rules changes that some of the smaller quicker receivers are now the more elite receivers.

2. 15 please lol

3. eberry

eberry Camp Fodder

Can't take a safety in the top 10

Best corner is probably Leon Hall or the kid from Fresno St. who don't seem like top 10's to me

Gaines Adams is someone I'd be really happy with but seems to me a bit riskier than CJ (only had big production past two years--Calvin was amazing from the moment he stepped on the field)

And there are one or two elite tackles but we'd be drafting a RT (or we could move Roos but I don't know why) in the top 10 when we could have (if things shook out--same risk as drafting a tackle) a Roy Williams/Andre Johnson/Larry Fitzgerald.

4. Pass Rush

Pass Rush Guest

Therefore you also believe that you have no mind?

As per picking C.Johnson, CB and maybe S can be addressed in free agency, or taken in later in the first day. This draft is deep enough in DBs that we'll be able to get a good guy in rd 2. You know the management will take CJ if he falls to us. It depends on how many games we win from now tho. Maybe Teddy Ginn if we're outside the top 10.

But say what you want, our passing game is going to be non-existent until we get a decent WR. Bennett can't catch what Vince throws. Though I really wish they'd give Jonathan Orr a shot!

5. SupDawg

SupDawg Guest

Did anyone see the stat tonight about the dropped balls in the NFL, Titans were not in the top 5 teams... I'm not giving up on Vince being able to throw an NFL pass consistently, but he needs to learn quickly to start taking his check downs and stop forcing the ball downfield into dime defenses.

I only saw a wide angle on one pass play, and it was the play where Drew was wide open... Vince was focused on a player getting open, and not taking his progressions. I think he'll get better.

Guys, we don't have all world receivers, but we certainly aren't the worst group in the NFL.

6. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Zackman...

Best running QB in college history? A matter of debate eric crouch ran for over 1100 yards the year he won the heisman(2001).

Being a great runner in college doesn't supercede a bad passer who throws behind receivers and can't consistently get the ball where it needs to go. Young is not consistently accurate even when he has time and that concerns me..

7. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Garrard was 19-32 for 249 last night with those WRs that are no better than the Titans. The reason he was that successful? He threw accurate passes.

By the way, if we want a QB who can run but is erratic throwing the ball we should go after Matt Jones. Guy was a stud runner in college, is bigger and faster than Young and IMO could be putting up as accurate of passes right now.

8. Nine

Nine Starter

What we're seeing right now is the worst we'll ever see from Vince. If he's still a 46% passer next year, then we should become concerned. But we knew there would be some rough edges this year....it was just a matter of where.

It's unrealistic to expect a well-rounded QB at this point in his career....there are going to be flaws in his game that have yet to be addressed by the coaching staff. A rookie QB's first year typically focuses on verbiage and terminology, learning offensive concepts, and learning to read defenses.....in otherwords, he's learning how to do the job. Once he's learned the job, then they'll start fine-tuning things, teaching him how to do the job better.

Norm Chow has already suggested that Vince's mechanics will be tweaked during the offseason...but as a rookie starter, Vince has enough on his plate for this year. We've already seen progress far beyond anything we anticipated from his rookie season....if he shows similar progress with his mechanics next year, he'll be darned near unstoppable.

9. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

IMO it is debatable that VY has really improved and to say he has progressed "far beyond anything we anticipated" makes no sense. His last outing was as bad as it can get as a passer.

I agree rookie QBs have a lot on their table to digest but VY is having a hard time, even when he eye balls a WR the whole way to make accurate throws. Accurate throws into coverage are one thing. Eye balling a WR and still flinging the ball too high, low, ahead or behind gives me cause for concern.

10. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Never see a need to worry about a rookie QB, it is 2nd and 3rd years when it starts to get interesting in my view.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar