Titans offense Roundtable

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by fitantitans, Aug 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fitantitans

fitantitans This space For Rent

See what I mean about some of these posters, nothing but trouble!

2. fitantitans

I was surprised to hear that comment from you, but then again, coming from you, nothing should surprise us! I don't know if he's ready or not. Again, our pre-season games should sort things out. Which brings up a good thought, I wonder how Fisher plans to split playing time between Young and Volek (during the preseason)?

3. Ewker

Ewker Starter

IMO Volek might get 2-3 series then Young comes in. Young will play the rest until Mauch or Hodges come in.
    Most people on here are rah,rah over him. A few people mention the problems he is having with the snaps from center, balls batted down, interceptions, etc.
    I will give him credit for wanting to be in camp on time and doing what it took to get there.

4. fitantitans

I need to start a post on just that question, "I wonder how Fisher plans to split playing time between Young and Volek (during the preseason)?". Personally I think Fisher will some how split it 50/50. Trying to get Volek ready, and trying to get Young some playing time before the season starts.
    I keep forgetting about Hodges. I guess that will be the only QB battle we'll have during the preseason, Hodges vs. Mauch. I don't know anything about Hodges and very little about Mauch. I know one of them is going to have to go!

5. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

I think Young will get more than his fair share of playing time in preseason. I think Fisher is just as nervous as we are about the question marks surrounding Volek's durability. About Young and my personal apprehension... the interval of performance expectations is so wide. It ranges from horrible to terrific where as Volek is known... more like so/so ok... Young could struggle immensely early on... then again he might just devour any d he sees. It's hard to compare VY to another player coming out. I do believe that Young will look great in future seasons after Volek is gone... it's a question of how soon he become dominate to me, not a question of if.

6. H Man

H Man Guest

Hey fitantitans, sorry for the delayed response...I had a busy church day yesterday. I meant nothing personal. I hope there's no hard feelings. In no way did I wish to imply you were a pinhead. I was strictly refering to the "expert sports reporter's" consistantly dismissive or inacurrate reporting about the Titans. I too, use this board to either agree or disagree with other posters, or ask questions, or gain insight from the lucky few of you who live there and get see 'em live on a regular basis.

I read your original remarks as contentious - begging for a counter. So I countered them, with a little pompous humor intended (e.g. "Your logic, Sir, is incomplete and flawed.), a la Rush or Frazier. My bad. That humor is hard to convey through the written word, without knowing me.

I'm a Titans fan too, and an Oiler fan before that. And at the end of the conversation, I think we essentially get to the same conclusion - more than likely we're not a playoff team this year...for a lot of reasons.

Incidentally, I still disagree with your assessment!!:))

7. fitantitans

That's what I love about this board. That, "Sorry I stepped on your foot" while they stomp the other!
    There's no hard feelings here, sorry if I suggested that there was.
    I thought the oxymoron, (pinheaded expert) was funny, and I suggested that I had been refered to as such things multiple times. If I didn't like being picked on, this is the last place I would express my thoughts.
    But any how, training camp and pre-season, (as you mentioned ealier), will iron out some of the problems. It's hard to think that this year is a shot at anything other than, 'still rebuilding'. It sounds as though our 'future' will be installed in 2007, not 2006. I'm sure both Young and LenDale will get playing time, but 2007 is the target for giving them starting positions.
    The OL still bothers me. It was bad last year. It affected our run game and caused a reluctant McNair to run for his life. The OL could help Travis and Brown get better contracts next year!
    I never did insert my thoughts about our WRs. They don't look bad....when healthy. The addition of Givens will help Bennett, which is Voleks favorite target. I never did like the idea of, "Bennett will be our #1 recv'r". And I don't like the idea that our TEs are getting more passes than our recv'rs. Seems to be counter-productive.
    Now let's attack that "pinheaded expert" THING you brought up. I agree that some of these so called experts are doing nothing more or less than the average fan could do. Most of what they say is based on their own preceptions and not too many facts. I don't think they are paid to give their preceptions as they are the facts. We have one jerk right here in Nashville writing for The TENNESSEAN. Several years ago, after we lost a very important game to the Turd-Birds, he suggested that the reason we lost was because Ray Lewis was on the sidelines. His mere presence upset the Titans so bad that they lost the game. Give me a break! I don't listen to these Pinheaded Experts as much as I do the Vegas odds makers. I think they look more at the facts than they do their preceptions. (Vegas' Guido & Vinnie, that give their "what-for's" on this board during the season, were about 90% correct in 2005). Needless to say, neither the Pinheaded Experts or Vegas believes the Titans will do much of anything this year. That is the same negative preception that I have!

8. H Man

H Man Guest

Interesting analogy. Really, I do disagree with your original post on this thread, but you've said some things here with which I definitely agree.

OL- Yes, our O-Line was pretty bad last year. Actually I thought it was very bad - especially the Guard play. But to say the coaches don't have an idea of who's playing where, is strestching it a bit. Don't you think? Hell Man, I even have an idea. Really the only spot not nailed down is RT. I think the Titans have taken a very reasonable approach to correcting the problem. And yes, the O-Line still bothers me too, because its so crucial to everything else on offense. I wish we had 5 Pro Bowlers up there!!

QB's, RB's, TE's, WR's - see above. (+ staying healthy!)
    Note: I never thought Bennett was a #1. I still don't. He's much better with the primary focus on someone else (most people are!!). Although I do like the timimg he and Volek have developed over the years, and would love to see that play out on the field over and over and over again.

Pinheads - I hope most of your local reporters are a little better than the national ones. I often get a chuckle when I hear them get a Titans name wrong, or give a reason that's totally outlandish. They'll often give an opinion, with no basis in fact, and its obvious they haven't asked anyone in the Titans organization.

I too give more credance to the odds makers, than the pinheads. I particularly watch the line, and where the money's moving. Although they influence that too...for obvious reasons.

You're right though. Niether the media or the odds makers give the Titans much chance this year. I don't care. I'm still pulling for them to beat the odds!!! And it's pre-season, and I'm optimistic...dang it!!!

9. fitantitans

Again today, Aug 8, our local news was reporting on the problems on the OL. Not an exact quote, but, "Please don't ask who's playing where", somehow in that order.(My wife was trying to talk to me at the same time, she should know better).
    Also, they mentioned the 'trade' word along with Chris Browns' name today. They said that we should know inside of a week.

10. BAMARON

BAMARON Camp Fodder

As often happens, Ive arrived at the party a little late...But it seems to me we are forgetting a few things. We have a good QB in Volek...not the best, but good. We have a Mystery man in VY...but sooner or later, and it could be sooner, he will be great.

We are OK at the skill positions..Our recieving corp is very good...if we can keep them healthy...We got quickness in Chris Brown, and White will be a monster in short yardage...something we haven't had lately.

Now here's where I really go out on a limb...We have filled some giant holes in the defense...It will be like daylight and dark from last year...we also have more experience and depth. We will pick up someone on wavers to add depth at CB. This will be one of the best defences we've seen in awhile.

As for the O line... hum...Bet we're looking on the waver wire for some help there...and there will be a few decent players availabe.

So since we're all just speculatiors at this point...I see some reasons for optimism.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar