Titans/Oilers books?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by titanbuoy, Jul 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. titanbuoy

titanbuoy medium rare ®

I just finished reading Bethea's book Smash Mouth (which was quite good... relatively speaking) and he had some interesting comments regarding Ed Fowler the author of "Loser Takes All".

This incident took place on the first day of training camp in 1983 (Bethea's final season). Bethea had convinced himself to retire after a brutal 1-13 1982 campaign but when Bud met his demand for an "astronomical" $300,000 salary for the 83 season he decided to return.

2. Overalls

Overalls Starter

Imagine that. Negative press after a 1-13 season.

3. titanbuoy

titanbuoy medium rare ®

Jeebus buddy...did you not read the actual quote or do you just feel like being obtuse.

Bethea played in Houston from 1968 through 1983, and during that period he never hear of Fowler having anything positive to say about the franchise. So in reading a book by Fowler about the Oilers you should consider the source. That was more my point (I just didn't think it needed spelling out... my bad).

4. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

Any happy endings yet?

5. titanbuoy

titanbuoy medium rare ®

Elvin made the Hall of Fame in the last chapter of "Smash Mouth" :) (Which I picked up for $5 on eBay and would definitely recommend to any fan of the 70's Oilers).

6. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

[​IMG]

Found one here...

7. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

The 99 season..

http://www.amazon.com/Tennessee-Tit...2948705?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1186486052&sr=1-1

And a book by jim wyatt.
    http://www.amazon.com/Tales-Titans-...0789016-2948705?ie=UTF8&qid=1186486052&sr=1-1

Too bad none of the top players did a day by day diary of that season. That would be even better.

As for fowler's book it is true so what is the griping about? Why would any houston sportswriter take bud's side about anything and the franchise has lost more games than it has lost. While the franchise was in houston they had 14 winning seasons vs 16 losing seasons..

8. Overalls

Overalls Starter

Don't worry. This season will add another losing season to the Titans season total.

9. titanbuoy

titanbuoy medium rare ®

At what point did I indicate that Fowler should take "Bud's side"? I just wanted to show that Fowler might be taking less than an objective approach in his view of Oilers' history. I swear I could come on here and type "water is wet" and some contrarian would want to debate the point... "Well TB, some water is actually quite dry... water in the Black Sea has an extremely high salt content so I would describe it as more salty than wet".

“Once more once”.

Bethea had a great working relationship with almost all of the writers in Houston; in fact he counts Houston scribe John McLain (yippee kaya motherf.....!) as one of his best friends. Bethea bends over backwards to heap praise on many of the writers he encountered during his career. However, he specifically singled out Fowler as being a negative hack throughout his time in Houston, culminating in the spitting episode at the beginning of Elvin's last season.

I'm not sure where you live, but if you live in a major sports city you'll know that every big league city has one of these hacks who puts bread on their table by spewing negative garbage. There's a certain segment of the public that laps this chit up, so in every city there's apt to be one of these guys filling that need for negativity.

When reading a book penned by one of these types one should do so with a critical eye.

I'm done.

PS Water is wet. :))

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar