Titans or Oilers?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by dgood, Apr 23, 2007.

?
  1. Yes.....include Oilers stats with Titans

80.4%
  2. No....Two Seperate Teams

19.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dgood

dgood Guest

Alright, here it is guys. Im sort of curious to find out everyone's viewpoint on this. I started liking the Titans as of the 99 season, when they first became the Titans. I really didn't care about football before that....

I consider the Titans a new team, as of the 99 season. They were the Oilers before, but i consider them two separate teams. When talking about stats, do you feel people should consider the Oilers too?

I think no, because they started a new team with a new name....

2. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

I only started following the Titans (and the NFL in general) in 99 as well. I acknowledge that the Oilers/Titans are one continuous franchise, though. I just don't know much about the Oilers besides the 2 or 3 most famous names to play for them.

As I have said before, I chose to follow the Titans because they seemed like a fresh team. I wanted to be a fan of a team that didn't have a rich history full of Superbowl victories and past glory. I wanted to feel like I had been there since the beginning. In that respect, I sorta think of the Titans as their own entity.

3. Depends on the situation. If someone says something like all-time best Titan, I ignore all the Oilers who never played for the Titans. But if someone talks about the history of the franchise, it all counts. So as far as stats go I'd count it all...

4. adamwinn51

adamwinn51 Starter

Long time Oiler fan here to say that they are one team in my book. It is the same franchise that has taken on two different names people. While I can see why people in Tennessee would not care much about oiler history and want to view it as a different team, there are many fans who loved the Oilers that now love the Titans for the sole reason that they are the franchise the once was the Oilers. The truth is, that these fans of whom I speak will go on loving the franchise even if it leaves Tennessee one day, while all you who are from Tennessee will likely bail out and look for a new team (perhaps the next one to come to Tennessee?). I am pretty sure in the eyes of the NFL, this is one team with two different names, as it should be.

5. Gene the PIG

Gene the PIG I'm Winning The Future

I agree. Rooted for the Oilers since 1973 when I was but a tender cherub faced toddler.

The TITANS are the OILERS, end of story. I am from Ohio, but have rooted for EVERY Houston team, PERIOD! That's because fate intervened, & procured a blue Houston Oilers plastic .25 football helmet @ CLICKS grocery store in 1973 while pappy went through the check out. The rest of the family are all Steeler fans. The 70's were rough (head to head with the Steelers) but the memories of Earl Campbell are some of my most cherished.

Only Houston team I root against, are the Texans! I feel nothing for them.

When Luv Ya Blue moved to Tennessee, my loyalty moved with them. Never dreamed the city of Houston would get another NFL team, EVER!

Many former players/coaches/scouts, etc. remain involved with Bud's organization.

Go to Clutchcity.net & ask this question. :ha:

6. LT21Titans27

LT21Titans27 Tebow Apostle

I ahve to say include it bc if we didnt the Texans would try to, and we grew out of the Oilers ne ways

7. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

All the same team & history in my book.

I respect the decision to let the Tennessee fans pick a new name but they'll always be the Oilers to me.

8. Carpy

Carpy Disgruntled foreign veteran

Exactly. Admittedly it's easier for me, as an Oiler fan I supported the team greatly, but did not have any emtoinal ties to the city. Players whose careers spanned both teams (e.g. Bruce) shouldn't have their loyalty de-valued by saying they played for two franchises and two different set of stats. They were and are, one-team players.

9. RyansTitans

RyansTitans Guest

Without reading anyones responeses..

I think if you say "are we the Oilers" you have to say yes. Because where would they branch off to? The Texans? I think not.

If I ever see them claim Earl Campbell ill hate them for life.

But stats wise.. I mean how cant you include them?

When we say Eddie George wat r u gonna say? He was an Oiler then a Titan so do you include his Oiler stats?

idk..

im out

10. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

It's hard for me to associate the Titans as the Oilers in new uniforms. I have always followed The Bengals and the Oilers were always the enemy but once the team moved here to Nashville it was an immediate disassociation of the team's history as "bad guys". The realignment of divisions only cemented that for me. The MCM is The Titans and Frank Reich's comeback deal was The Oilers...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar