Titans Payroll Ranked #32 In 2005

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Jul 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Umm, dude, this is professional football. A game where a person is payed to perform at certain level. Essentially, it is an organized arrangement of highest bidders for a service.

In regards to loyalty, I must assume that if someone offered you a lot more money to work elsewhere you would turn it down- regardless of the amount.

2. Why should players take a paycut? It's one thing if they couldn't get a job or decent contract on the free agent market. But there is no incentive to take a paycut to stay with a rebuilding team.

The NFL is a business, and it cuts both ways. If you want nothing but players who are happy to take whatever their team will give them then you will end up with a losing team every year...

3. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

Tell it to the squeelers, Patriots and Eagles.

4. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

Umm, dude, did the Titan D perform at a certain level the last two seasons?. Did Nedney live up to the "service" part of his multi year contract with the Titans. Technically he did, course he did it in rehab.

And I, like you I assume, am a free agent. I am not constantly on the lookout for another higher paying job all the time. If $$$ was all that mattered I would not be in Tennessee I would be in New England or California. There ARE more important things than money.

5. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

I guess I would say LOYALTY could be a factor in a player staying with a rebuilding team. Course that could just be me.

I would say it is greed and greed alone that would make a guy like Fisk take a pittance more from SD than the Titans offered him, and I believe he did not give the Titans a chance to match. Fisk was getting endorsements in Tennessee and was on his way to becomming a Wycheck like personality, but hey he got 100k or so more to be in SD so good for him.

I would say I want FOOTBALL PLAYERS who want to be TITANS not athletes who want to be paid by the Titans. I never stated I would perfer only guys who would play for the minimum. As far as I am concerned the Titans have offered guys like George, Kearse, the gaggle of 6 mentioned above, Bishop, ect. fair market contracts. They CHOOSE to move on out of greed and lack of loyalty. Guys like Carter who talk the talk then walk for $ make me POed in particular. At least with Adam Jones I expect him to demand stupid $.

6. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Loyalty cuts both ways. Do you feel the Titans were loyal to McNair? Even Twitch played gimpy for weeks just to be later released.

I think you have a legit point when you use Eddie as an example but I think it is unrealistic to expect a top player to play for significantly less than what he can make elsewhere.

7. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

I don't like defensive holding calls but they are part of the game. Losing players like McNair angers a part of me... but sadly, it is just part of the game. Winning championships is more than what takes place on the feild. The brass has to play an A-game as well. Hopefully, in the future Reese and Company will put us in a position to win.

8. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

I wonder how greedy and loyal you would be if another employer offered you a 20% increase in pay? Sure these guys are a little greedy. So what, who isn't. They have a limited number of years to play and if they try to make the most of it either monetarily or by playing for a contender all the moer power to them. Heck, Carter not only made more money but he could be in a SB alot faster in the twightlight of his career.

9. I don't have to. They already know the league is a business...

10. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

The D did not and therefore many were let go or asked to re-structure. And yes Nedney did live up to his CONTRACT but not his expectations. His injuries were a huge disappointment. Hence, he also was let go.

Let's talk about Vanden Bosch- performed well above his pay. Re-signed at a fair market contract. Was he going to stay a Titan for less- no way. And the Titans were the team that gave him his chance. Point is, these guys are professional football players. They are loyal to the NFL, not a particular franchise.

I find it hard to believe you would stay at your current job if they said "Here's a new guy. Train him to do your job. By the way, our competition called and offered you 20% more pay, guaranteed for 2 years. Oh yeah, they also threw in a fat signing bonus if you'll go over there right now."

Of course money isn't everything, but it is the common denominator that we all live by.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar