Titans, Raiders eye Keyshawn

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by bulluck4dMVP, May 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adamwinn51

adamwinn51 Starter

Wow, that is hilarious! :ha: I guess for some hope always springs eternal. Maybe, I guess but history says unlikely.

2. RyansTitans

RyansTitans Guest

WOW
    Has there ever been more hype over one rookie on our team then Henry's?
    10 Thousand yards and he hasn't even played 1 snap of an NFL game?
    Well dannng.

3. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Henry's hype is nothing compared to the new titan/long-term longhorn fan's hyping of Vince Young.

4. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Shoulda seen it last year. It has died down considerably.

Say one bad thing about VY last year and you were considered a hater.

5. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

If Keyshawn was catching passes from a rookie QB last year his numbers would not have been anything close to what he had last year. Everyone keeps making the assumption that we can just take someone with decent stats and insert them and they will automatically raise VYs passing numbers. Keyshawn is more like a TE ow than a WR and IMO more of a situational WR.

Keep in mind Keyshawn isn't what he used to be and I simply don't see this guy getting significant seperations anymore. Why do you think Carolina simply cut this guy loose. We are looking at him with rose colored glasses. Besides, what we need are guys who can stretch the field and occasionally make a big play. With our QB I doubt we are going to be able to nickle and dime our way down the field with 80 yard drives.

So let me get this right, if Keyshawn didn't have one of the 5 best WRs in the game playing opposite him he would have still been able to get seperation and make catches. The fact half the secondary was concentrating on stopping one guy left Keyshawn one on one all the time and he still didn't get more than 11.6 YPC. That means he isn't breaking tackles either, has no ability to break a big play and IMO is going to be a big dissapointment.

Use some logic here. Smith is a stud WR. If Keyshawn is anything close to this solid WR that runs great routes and posseses great hand (not to mention a great blaocker) he should have helped the passing game, not hindered it.

With other WRs this might not be a big issue but for a big target (who runs great routes and has great hands) you would think that would be his strong point. What it proves is he is so slow and has no quicks that when the field is shortened he isn't all that successfull. Also, he certainly isn't going to take a short pass and go the distance, heck he is lucky if he can get a 1st down with his average.

Look at the Panthers roster. out side of Smith they don't look a whole lot better than us. If Keyshawn was a real stud they would love to have him opposite Smith while Jarrett learns the ropes. In fact the situation should be ideal because about the time Keyshawn hangs it up for good Jarrett will have a year or two under his belt. They threw this guy out with the dish water because they knew his production would be easy to replace.

6. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

You could say that Key probably won't be able to get to 800 yards in our offense, but that is being shortsighted. First of all, VY is coming into his second year and you are assuming he will not improve. Secondly, Drew Bennett (not exactly an elite receiver but an above average one) got over 700 yards. I don't even see how you can say Key is more like a tight end than a receiver. He's had multiple 1000 yard years. I'm assuming you are only saying that because of his ypc. Well, check this out.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/CartCr00.htm

That is Chris Carter, future hall of famer and probably the best possession receiver in the history of the game. His ypc were almost identical to Keyshawn. I guess he should have played tight end also though?

We don't run a home run offense. Besides that, we have several fast receivers already on our roster. I will take a guy that can catch any day. Why can't we nickle and dime? That is actually what our offense is designed for and I would say that is the strength of VY's game, particularly with his ability to run for first downs.

You are focusing way too much on his ypc. He got 70 catches!! That is almost 5 catches per game, much more than anyone we have (and we had plenty of single coverage). His ypc might not be all that great, but it is enough for him to average a first down. First downs win football games.

I am using logic, but not yours. I see a notable flaw in yours: you are assuming that all other things were equal between this past season and the previous one. Clearly, that was not the case. You are saying that Keyshawn caused their yards per carry to drop by half a yard? You are saying that Keyshawn caused Steve Smith to get 400 less yards? You are saying that a 38 year old Ricky Proehl who caught 25 passes for 400 yards is better than Keyshawn "number 1 overall pick" Johnson? If you are arguing that, then I think I am getting out of this discussion now...

Why do you have to be fast to get TD's in the red zone? I always thought it was the opposite. You need a big body, good concentration, good hands, good timing... all of these you need, but most of all you need opportunity. Since Keyshawn hasn't shown any of these attributes to be on the decline, I will assume that his lack of TD's was an anomaly.

The Panthers were predicted to contend for a super bowl this past season. We were predicted to win 2 to 4 games. I think that means they have significantly more talent than we do. I mean, it's just a prediction (and I'm not one to put any stock into that stuff), but really, when they pick you to win 2 to 4 games, there is a real lack of proven talent there. I don't think that 800 yards from your second receiver is ever "easy to replace". I think that they want to contend for a super bowl for a few years here and not just next year. Better to make the move now than later. Maybe they just really like Jarrett. Whatever the case may be, (once again) you could use the same faulty logic to never pick up a free agent. After all, someone cut them or let them go free.

7. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

If our offense is going to be a nickel and dime our way down the field type offense then we have the wrong QB for the job and should have taken Leinart. Young's passing efficiency is not very good and that is simply not his forte. Obviously VY can improve as a passer but VY isn't ever going to be the next Chad Pennington and win games with pin point accuracy.

As far as picking up a FA I'm all for it. Just not a guy who is getting over the hill (who gives a flip that Keyshawn had some good years, so did EG but we wouldn't want him back). What is Keyshawn going to give us, at best? One year of mediocre performance? IMO even if at the start Keyshawn improved the team slightly it isn't worth taking a spot away from a guy who could be the guy we want down the road. Keyshawn is not our future.
    I Wrote this before on another thread but WRs take a few years to really produce in the NFL. Who knows if we have the next Isaac Bruce on our roster, a guy who only had 21 receptions for 272 yards his rookie year. The next year he had one of the greatest years in the history of the NFL with almost 1800 yards and 13 TDs. I'd rather let a guy play who has future potential than a guy who is average at best at this stage of his career and not going to be around very long.
    Oh, and by the way the Carolina team that you said was predicted to contend for a SB last year (yes they were) went out and got this turd, rented him for a year and came to the conclusion we should come to before he gets here, he isn't worth it. He sure didn't help them and he won't help us.
    Right now all he is is a big name with no talent left.

8. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Are we that pathetic?

7 WRs drafted in the last 3 drafts. 3 of them 3rd rounders. Why are we so desperate? Let the young guys try and get the job done we have used up too much draft capital to have guys sitting on the bench. We made the investment now let's do what we can with it..

9. BigRed3

BigRed3 Straight Cash, Homey

You're right... Courtney Roby and Roydell Williams need another year to prove that they're awful.

10. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

Why do you keep saying that Keyshawn didn't help them? He had 800 yards as a 2nd option in that offense. Before that, their second receiver gave them 400 yards. That is double the production that they had there before to say nothing of the blocking he gave them. If Keyshawn wasn't there, it would have been a REALLY bad year in Carolina.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar