Titans Reach Agreement with G Scott

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Smash, Mar 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Just "an extra million"? Maybe that extra million is the difference in signing Albert, Roos or Stewart to long-term deals this season. And we need to see the yearly breakdown in order to truly know the impact of the deal.

If Munch feels that Scott was as good a player (if not better) than Bell then this was the right move. But time will tell.

As for the Titans still not having a #1 WR signed, there wasn't one out there besides Moss. But some of you feel overpaying Stallworth or Berrian fixes everything which is a complete joke.

And we're grading Reinfeldt two weeks into free agency? Isn't that about as nuts as grading a draft the day after it happens? ;)

2. Carpy

Carpy Disgruntled foreign veteran

Such as ??????

3. Bobo

Bobo Guest

:whoop:

Oh wait, the overreacting should be coming to an end soon. That smilie will no longer be needed :))

4. Carpy

Carpy Disgruntled foreign veteran

On just about every free agency website I can find, Scott was rated equal to or better than Bell.

I liked Bell, but to get a player just as good who is 1-year younger for $1m less a season (and presumable less guaranteed money) is a good move whichever way you slice it.

Out of all the players we lost, Odom is the only one I was really disappointed to see go. But Odom did not deserve to be the highest paid defensive player on our team. If we go through Free Agency and the draft without addressing the D-line any more I will be concerned. But there is no reason to think that will be the case.

Also, the contention that we are signing "under-the-radar" scrubs is far from the truth. All 3 players we have signed to this point were full-time starters for their clubs last year (barring injury).

5. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

When the Titans are under 1million of cap going into this season I will agree with you. But I don't think that will happen. I think we will have more than 1 million left in cap going into the season, easy. So do you really think that had we re-signed Bell instead of signing Scott we wouldn't be able to sign Albert, Roos, or Stewart longterm?

Could be, and then this would make more sense. Now, I certainly hope Scott becomes the better player of the two.

I've never said that, so I'm guessing this wasn't directed at me.

I've always felt that we needed to add two WRs this offseason, one in FA and one in the draft. I've always prefered Bryant Johnson, and I don't advocate spending Javon Walker $$$ for a FA.

What can someone do but give his opinion? I'm looking at MR over his two seasons here so far. Last year, I praised him for being conservative, based on the fact I believed we would lock up our players longterm and have more of an idea what our needs were based on the 2007 season. Now it's the 2008 offseason so I'm ready to see some moves to get this team to the next level.

So far Crumpler is the only real addition.

Kearse and Scott are only replacement deals.

6. titans4life10

titans4life10 Camp Fodder

I fully expect your #1 reciever to Limas Sweed, i just dont see how Fisher will pass up on this guy. A Texas alum, great size, possibly great speed, he will be good, IMO, and worth the 1st round risk. But i am glad we didnt just jump on the first WR's, although Berrian would of been great if he would of just made the visit here, i fully expect him to regret going to the Vikings. Crumpler, if he can get back to what he was before 2 years ago, will be the steal of free agency...and Kearse, well your banking on if he can get back to atleast half of the form he was before he left.

7. NewsGrabber

NewsGrabber Guest

Report: Titans raid Colts, add guard Scott to O-line

The Tennessean, citing unnamed sources, reported Monday that the Titans have agreed to a four-year deal with guard Jake Scott, who played the past four seasons for the Indianapolis Colts. ...more

[​IMG]

8. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Who knows? What I do know is they got someone they felt was a better value than Bell and fans are STILL complaining they didn't pay MORE to someone they obviously felt wasn't worth it.

Besides Gage? Unless the Titans see Hackett or B. Johnson as a significant upgrade to players currently on the roster, why overpay? Now that the frenzy is over, if the Titans like either of these guys, they can get them in a reasonable deal.

By overpaying for mediocre talent because EVERYONE taken in the first couple of weeks of free agency was overpaid. Reinfeldt would be an idiot to do what the Raiders and Jets have done. He believes in paying his core players and allowing those who are not to walk. I'd liked to kept Odom as well but he wasn't close to being a core player. He wasn't even a top five player on the defense.

We don't know what Crumpler or Kearse bring. But neither were paid much. Both may be a significant upgrade to who were lost. Scott looks as good if not an upgrade to Bell.

I don't see how anyone can be critical of what Reinfeldt has done so far.

9. LT21Titans27

LT21Titans27 Tebow Apostle

This was a great pickup by Tennessee

10. Titan_4Good.

Titan_4Good. Guest

Ok i see you still got people here that seriosly believe that a rookie is coming in to BSP and be the number 1 wideout on the team :grrhee: !! I just don't see it happening, unless we get a wideout via free agency or a trade we are looking just like we did last year. The only diference is that we have a tight end that can catch a ball now and get open..Limas Sweed c'mon he is just a unproven rookie, i wonder how long it will take him to get used to the nfl playing level and toughness.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar