Titans receivers revisited

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by fitantitans, Apr 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

The Titans needed another vet to line up with Bennett and they got that in Givens. I think they will do fine. I would like to see Calico move into the #3 role. He would be a handful IMO in the slot.

2. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

Amen, I hope he steps up this season. If he does, we've got a great WR roster.

3. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

You all forgot Bobby Wade. Thomas and Small are on the PS.

It will be more like this I think:

Givens
    Bennett
    Calico/Wade
    Williams/Roby

Now, if we cut any WR, it'll likely be Wade, but I can see him in the slot.

The coaches will give Calico the chance to hang himself. He better catch and be somewhat of a downfield threat.

It'd be really nice if he performs, but can be had for relatively cheap on a new contract. Hope he feels he has a lot to prove and live up to.

4. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

And yes, BJ won't or shouldn't return until the 2nd half of the season at the earliest.

5. fitantitans

fitantitans This space For Rent

I left out one other group of possible receivers in this thread, the RBs and the FBs. We've always used them out of the backfield.
    IMO and mine ONLY, Troupe & Kinney have a long way to go to measure up to Wycheck. The top receiver for 5 - 6 years in a row. A count-on, go-to guy from the start. <font color=red>"Mason wide right, Wycheck checking up on the line, Eddie moving to his left and McNair stepping back into the shotgun............"</font> If you only have one good DB, you are f#*$ed. THOSE were the days.
    GOTITANS3801 said, "considering the excuses, there was nothing wrong with our passing game last year." Except that the receivers were out done by the TEs. Basically, that's what I'm talking about.

6. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

A little confused at what you mean about Wycheck. He was definitely our #1 TE for 5-6 years, but he wasn't our #1 receiver. Most of those years it was Mason. However, neither Kinney nor Troupe is taking his place on their own, but with 4 solid TE, I think we're fine there.

True, we passed to TEs a lot last year, too much. I think it's because of other reasons, and we'll see a better split this season since our WRs are stronger.

7. fitantitans

fitantitans This space For Rent

Sorry!

I didn't mean to confuse you. Someone compared our TEs to Wycheck and I dissagreed.
    Wycheck was not listed as our #1 receiver, he should have been, he played TE and that kept him from that title.......even though he was our #1 receiver! Confused now?:ha:
    I don't think we'll be drafting any TEs this year. We are kinda' set in that area.
    I did throw our TEs in the equation when I wrote this thread, maybe I shouldn't have. I'm wondering if Givens is going to make that big of a difference in our receiver corps.

8. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

He caught ALOT of passes and was key in alot of short yardage passing situations. Wycheck was a key to McNairs game. One could argue that McNair would not have become all that he is/was w/o him.

9. 2toneblue77

2toneblue77 Guest

Our biggest problem on offense last year was not our passing game, it was our game in the redzone. We had no trouble moving the ball up field but once got inside 25 it was like we hit a brick wall. Our rookies did as well as can be expected considering they were rookies and I have no doubt they will improve a great deal this year. The bottom line is we have to score touchdowns to win ballgames and our offense didn't do that last year. I am optimistic that with the addition of givens this year, our rookies having valuable experience, and Calico coming out of his ACL injuries (though im more concerned about his hands) that we will have a pretty decent passing game this year.

10. Slipjack

Slipjack Guest

I'm concerned about Calico!!! Huge bust. Roydell or Roby will step up this year as the number 3. Troupe in the slot is a hugh mismatch! Givens at one, Bennett at two, is a good combo. The running game/ OL needs to step it up to see the passing game become productive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar