Titans Schedule Visit With RFA Jonathan Casillas

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TorontoTitanFan, Apr 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

This one is pretty interesting. NFL teams rarely make offers to RFAs. There was all kinds of talk that a team would give Mike Wallace a huge (front-loaded) offer that the Steelers couldn't match, but he hasn't received any interest. No team wants to give up a valuable draft pick.

Jonathan Casillas is a different story, though. The Titans can make him an offer and the Saints would have 7 days to match. If they chose not to match, the Titans wouldn't have to give up a draft pick for him because Casillas was undrafted.

Casillas would play WLB for the Titans, probably meaning that Witherspoon would be cut. I guess he might stick around for one more year and the Titans would have the two of them compete.

Casillas isn't a stud or anything, but he started some games for the Saints last year. That team is now stocked with a million linebackers (they just signed Curtis Lofton and David Hawthorne), so it seems very possible they would let Casillas walk. Could be a steal for the Titans.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iL0Azc3IT7Y"]Jonathan Casillas Sack - YouTube[/ame]

2. Sonic28

Sonic28 Starter

yup, already added to Offseason thread

3. TorontoTitanFan

Does all offseason discussion really have to be in that one thread? Debates get too mixed up. I much prefer talking about guys in their own threads.

• High Five High Five x 3
  4. Sonic28

Sonic28 Starter

No not at all, It was just an idea to not create 10,000 threads of a single player visiting. You are more than welcome to create a thread; I'm not a mod of anything. I just thought it would reduce the clutter.

5. Finnebosch

Finnebosch I am vengeance.

Good depth is nothing else. Young guy and was okay in his few starts so I don't see why not.

6. THE_TITAN

THE_TITAN Starter

Witherspoon would not be cut, I think you're overvaluing Casillas. He has starter potential but Witherspoon is a valuable veteran.

7. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Jonathan Casillas is not better than Will Witherspoon.

He's also light, would get pushed around as a starter.

8. TorontoTitanFan

You are probably right. Witherspoon has a big salary, but I imagine he would be kept around as depth even if he lost the job in camp. Looks like he's gone in 2013 no matter what, though. The Titans have to be thinking about upgrading that spot. Definitely not sure Casillas is the guy to do it, but at least the Titans are looking at guys there.

9. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

The Titans recently have been letting vets play out there contracts it seems. So I would expect that Witherspoon will make the roster. Need some vet leadership. I see this as a guy to compete with McGrath who has been a major disappointment.

If you can set your depth up before the draft it does allow you some flexibilty to trade a late rnd pick to move up and grab someone you like.

10. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

McRath is the most likely LB we have to get dumped IMO.

• High Five High Five x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar