Titans should start Hasselbeck over Locker, analysts say

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Msut10, Jan 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. a0k47

a0k47 Practice Squad

The problem with Hasselbeck is hes not mobile. The defense knows that hes just gonna stay in the pocket so it takes away 1 dimension of an offense. Also, I think cj would have a huge year if locker started next year because it would spread out the defense

2. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

Hasselbeck is also reckless. Rather than play for the FG he admitted that he got greedy and blew the game by trying to hit the home run to Kenny. Not to mention how bad he sucked against the Colts of all teams. We could argue both sides but my point is Jake deserves a fair shot to win the starting job. I don't just wanna hear Munchak say that it's gonna be an open competition and then give the job to MH after Jake proves he's the better option. That's my main concern.

• High Five High Five x 2
  3. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

I gave Hasselbeck a really hard time towards the end of the season, but I think it was the injuries that were impacting his play more than him not being capable.

Analysts shouldn't be saying anything right now. Wait 'till the end of training camp. It's just nice to have two good QBs who are capable of winning games for us. Kerry/VY duo was the exact opposite. We had no faith in either.

4. Clark

Clark #ShoutboxAlley4Life

Open comp is best way to decide. If jake gets beat out, oh well, the better qb is playing and visa versa.

5. bigdogtitan

bigdogtitan Camp Fodder

Locker has to improve his accuracy IN THE POCKET. Most of his good plays this year were scrambling and bootlegs in garbage time If he becomes the starter,he will be picked apart by everyone.Why put him out there until he is totally prepared.This is a big offseason for him in terms of working to get better.

6. JerseyTitan

JerseyTitan Rookie

very simple: don't just hand the starting job to either of the two, have them compete in training camp and preseason (although the job is Hasselbeck's to lose)

7. selever2000

selever2000 Starter

Hass did a good job this year. Actually better than what I had expected. I do however have some complaints, I may be out of line here, but I am a fan of this team and I am just voicing my observations.

There were many times when Hass was upset at our WR's for not running routes the correct way. I know that can be frustrating, but there were times where I felt like Hass looked as though, he couldn't believe he was putting up with crap like this on this team. He game me an impression like he was coming in from something Great, to something mediocre. I saw many times where he just threw the ball at the offensive lineman's feet, when he still had more time to make a play. I think a good leader, will not show frustration to his teammates, instead explain what went wrong and show patience. Hass had many balls knocked out of the air by the Defensive lineman and I think some of those could have been avoided. Don't get me wrong, I like his ability to throw downfield, and also to stay in the pocket, but as others mentioned before, he is a pocket passer that is 1 dimensional.

Locker, on the other hand was very mobile, and seemed very humble. Humble may be perceived in this game as bad, but he came out with a great attitude, showed his teammates respect, but also patience. I strongly feel that if he had started the second half of the season, we would have been playing in the playoffs. He is mobile, and can throw on the run. Sure, he has lots to work on, but why not let him learn the hard way. When he came in the Atlanta game, he marched right down and scored. Same against Tampa and New Orleans.

Now, this is only my opinion and observations. I am not saying Hass sucks, or is bad, I am just saying what I feel I saw on the field.

Also, look at the rest of our players spunk when Locker was in there. It looked as though they were motivated and ready to do whatever it took to move forward. Clearly some scores may have been in garbage time, but obviously, Our starter couldn't get the ball in for a score.

I think we are in a good position here, 2 very good QB's.

We will go 12-4 next season.

• High Five High Five x 2
  8. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

Hassellback had his chance. He improved the team, but he got us to the exact place most folks predicted we would end up with him at qb, which was mediocrity. Would he improve next year with a full training camp. Not really. He seemed to get worse with more reps. Sign of an aging player. My thing was when we were eliminated that'd be the end of the experiment. He'd lose his job. So let's turn the keys over to the rookie and see what happens for better or for worse. Hassellback got a fair shot. He gave us what we expected and little more. We'll take some bumps with the kid, but at least we'll have hope. And hope is a good thing to have.

• High Five High Five x 1
  9. Shanvhere

Shanvhere Elite

Who ever wins the job, is going to have a FIELD DAY when Britt gets back

10. titanflamer

titanflamer Starter

I agree it should be a competition and I think it will be. Hass did much better than I thought he would.I was so happy to see our new QB get on to receivers running wrong routes. I think it helped because of the seemingly better play. I was glad we had a guy who did not try to escape the pocket every play.He seemed to do well reading the defense. The running game should have been much better. I figured at the start of the season we would finish with 7 wins. But I also thought these wins would be in large part of our stellar running game.

It was exciting to see our rookie run around and make some plays, even though a big part of them were against prevent. He did not win, but in some cases we were behind by a large margin.

Anyway, I hope Locker gets better accuracy along with his escape-ability. If he is accurate and can read defenses a little, he will do fine . Not to mention he may help the running game in the process.

SO , I say good luck to all our team and our two good Quarterbacks.

• High Five High Five x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar