Titans Still Have Hope for Brown's Return

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Jun 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fltitan

fltitan Guest

I believe we could be in terrible shape at running back. I was one of the people standing and yelling take LenDale when he was still available at 44 but at this point I have seen nothing that leads me to believe he is a running back to get us to the playoffs, I think he still can be a great player just not sure he's willing to work hard enough at this level to get there but I hope he does. Henry may be an excellent RB one day but probvably not this year. This leads me to think Brown is worth the investment. If he stays with the Titans he probably becomes the #1 Rb, the biggest reason to sign him is he knows the system and can be productive the 1st day, if we wait till camp starts to see what RBs are available it really won't matter whose there it will take them several games to pick up the system.

2. Carpy

Carpy Disgruntled foreign veteran

I hardly lectured you. Had typed my response before I read your 2nd post. Get over it.

If Brown is willing to play (and contribute on) special teams, I'd view him differently but at this stage of his career, I'm not convinced he can.

Mewelde Moore would obviously be an ideal 3rd back for that exact reason. We don't want our #3 RB taking a lot of offensive snaps, but we do want them contributing on special teams and able to contribute on offense when called upon. Why not offer the Vikings a 6th for Moore? He's not going to see the field on offense behind Taylor and Peterson.

Shelton is in his 3rd year. There is no doubt that Brown is the better pure runner than Goings, but Goings also plays special teams and can back-up at FB. For value out of te roster spot, I'd prefer Goings.

I agree that Perry or Watson could be had in a trade. Perry has returned some kicks as well, and I would consider him (trade a 5th or lower).

As an aside, after the draft I heard Fisher quoted as saying that they were very surprised that Cincy drafted Kenny Irons right in front of us. Anyone else think that Kenny Irons was going to be the pick in the 2nd round and we were caught off-guard when he went to the Bengals? Might shed some light on why we went RB in rd 2....

I think it does only because Brown is purely a TB.

I can't see how we can afford to carry 3 RBs on the roster that don't play any special teams each week. Our 3rd RB will almost certainly have to contribute on special teams (may still be Ganther). Bringing Brown in may well be at the expense of Henry or White on the active roster each week.

3. Carpy

What do they have in common????

They all played special teams.

4. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Carpy...

The vikes won't get rid of moore he is too good a pass receiver. No way he doesn't make that team unless they are nuts.

Eric shelton has only played football one year for carolina. Yes he was drafted in 05 but he has only had 9 carries his whole career there in 06. If they give up on him now it would only be because he can't play which might be true.

The special teams issue doesn't apply unless we know that brown absolutely refuses to play on special teams a stance he can't afford to make at this point in his career. As far as i know he has never refused to play on special teams.

5. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Rolltide,

I was being sacrastic of course.

My main point in the sarcasm was, of course, if you don't consider college high level, then no rookie has ever played at a high level.

So, Henry and Lendale need the chance to play this season so we fans can see if they can play at a high level.

Chris Brown can't, at least, not anymore. Certainly he isn't capable of carrying a full load for any team, I don't think he could even hold up in a RBBC where he got 50% of the carries.

Basically what I'm trying to say is... Chris Brown sucks. But hey, most third strings do, so if he wants to sit the bench here, fine, but it better be for real cheap.

I'd rather try some others than see the Titans re-sign him though.

6. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Brown vs..

I'll give carpy credit for naming possible candidates for our #3 RB role. Most of those are against brown have offered nothing in the way of practical alternatives.

Kenny watson-29 years old, good player who has some good qualities but this is a guy who hardly played at all for 3 of his 6 seasons. I don't know if the title of mr durable fits him. He can catch the ball some and wouldn't have a problem with the #3 role that's what he is used to. 6'0 218 with some speed.

Nick goings-29 years old, big back who can do a lot of things. Hasn't played much in his career except for 2004 when he was needed to start for much of the year. He played well with 800 yards rushing and almost 400 receiving but isn't a very fancy runner with little speed. Note that he started in the 2005 playoffs and was knocked out of a game with a concussion after just 2 yards on 5 carries.

Aveion cason-28 years old, hasn't had significant playing experience in any year. A life long 3rd stringer hasn't played badly and can catch the ball some. His main contrubution has been as a kick retuner but his 21 yard average suggests he has nothing to offer over roby in that area.

Ciatrick fason-24 years old. Hasn't played much and is only entering his third year. I liked him in college. Hasn't done a thing on special teams making just 4 tackles and returning 2 kicks for 4 yards.

Final assessment..

1. Goings, can do more things to help a team than any other. Might be a good reason for carolina to hold onto him since they know as well as anyone what he can do.

2. Watson, best runner of the group but probably no more reliable than brown.

3. Fason, younger, maybe worth taking a chance on.

4. Cason, who cares..?

7. Carpy

Not sure where Cason came from. I wouldn't consider him either.

I think it's possible that Justin Fargas becomes available. If Michael Bush's knee is ok, Fargas drops to #4 on that depth chart. He has returned kicks before I think.

If our #3RB doubled as a kick returner that would be the best case scenario, in my view. If we can put faith in our top 2 backs being the primary ball-carriers, that gives us a way forward.

8. Nine

Nine Starter

So let me get this straight:

You guys would rather have a career third-stringer with third-string talent instead of Brown?

9. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

Yea, I don't like Brown as a #1 - not in our offense at least. But no way is he a bad back to have for depth. Especially not after a year to recover from injuries. Would I prefer to see Julius Jones, sure? Would I prefer Ganther? Not really. Sorry to repost this idea, but not every signing has to be a starter - if you fill out your roster with quality backups you're setting yourself up for success.

10. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

There we go..

Chris brown sucks but justin fargas is a great guy to have. :rolleyes:

I would rather have brown.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar