Titans Still Have Hope for Brown's Return

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Jun 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PAtitansfan53

PAtitansfan53 Kush & OJ

Rolltide why do you like Brown so much?

You don't have one good reason why we should bring him in except he will only be our 3rd string. Our RB situation is so up in the air right now C-Hen or LW might not be our Starter by the start of the season.

He's an upright runner at 6'3 which equals injuries every year. He's is not very tough so expect him to be gone longer than expected, don't expect him to play ST like mentioned and he did run behind our o-line last year with Ahmard Hall and didn't do shizz. His only positive is speed but rarley gets up to full-speed since he prances behind the line and doesn't get past the 2nd level if he's lucky to get past the D-Line. He is ok as a blocker and pass catcher but so are probably 10 other back that become available our could be had for a low draft-pick that would do more and have potential and are younger that would compete and do the dirty-work like ST......ect.......ect.

2. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Is Brown injury prone...yes. No doubt about it. However, I'll go on record that if Brown comes back and actually gets a legit shot at being our starting RB he will win the job. No doubt about it. He is simply better than either C. Henry or LW at this point. What Brown does need is a bruising 2nd RB to take the short yardage carries and also take some of the work load. Brown is not good on 3rd down and long. Brown is exceptional on 3rd and long either running draws, catching the ball or blocking. He is by far, BY FAR our best option on passing downs. Also, Brown wasn't really hurt that much in 2005 (he missed the last game of the year) when he had 224 attempts. The OL was brutal that year and no RB was going to average over 4.0 yards per carry. Brown has proven that when he has decent blocking he can be not just good but even dominating (just go back and look at what he did in 2004). His main flaw is short yardage but certainly C. Henry or LW can take those carries. Heck, even if LW pitched in 80 or so carries that takes care of 300 carries (T. Henry had 270 carries all last year).

Because we were stupid and didn't get our 2nd year QB a RB by signing T. Henry or making a better pitch for Turner we are now close to desperation. Sign Brown, give him a legit shot at the starting job and at the least we will have a RB who can make plays in passing situations. We need a guy to do that anyway.

3. eberry

eberry Camp Fodder

If you're looking for a third string rb, you should bring in someone who plays third string rb. If you want CB to compete directly with CH and LW and possibly replace them, then that's fine; you're adding him to the mix of the #1, but if you're looking for someone to perform a Neil O'Donnell role in the RB spot, Chris Brown does not play that position. He's not a #1, but he's not a #3 either. He's a #2, he just doesn't know it yet.

He's like Anthony Henry or Kevan Barlow, except what kinda vibe would those guys have produced in their clubhouses if they stayed with the same team and were still backups there? It would fester. He'll have to go somewhere else and not earn a #1 spot before he can play backup RB in the NFL.

He's the Drew Bennett of running backs: decent player, but if he's your #1 at that position, then your club probably is doing poorly there, given what most of the other teams in the league have at that same position.

4. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

you guys know what's funny? all you guys were probably talking the same crap, probably worse about Travis Henry last season. How is anyone here able to say CB is no good anymore, since we didn't see him last year.

I thought absence made the heart grow fonder.. guess not for some of you all.

We lost probably one of the best backup QBs in the league last year in Volek, just because Fisher stopped liking him.

Just because CB was in the doghouse doesn't mean he's no good anymore.

Oh yeah, and is it really THAT important that our 3rd string RB plays ST??

We have 1500000 Recievers to complain about, and tons of Corners. I think we've got plenty of ST help.

I've got a feeling almost everyone here besides RollTide will be eating crow by next year if the Titans pick CB up.

5. eberry

eberry Camp Fodder

Here's a list of our competition (starters):

(and guys i'd take over CB any day if offered a 1 to 1 trade):
    LaDainian Tomlinson
    Larry Johnson
    Frank Gore
    Steven Jackson
    Willie Parker
    Shaun Alexander
    Travis Henry
    Rudi Johnson
    Brian Westbrook
    Chester Taylor/Adrian Peterson
    Ronnie Brown
    Fred Taylor/Maurice Jones-Drew
    Ahman Green
    Thomas Jones
    Edgerrin James
    Clinton Portis/Ladell Betts
    Warrick Dunn/Jerious Norwood
    Jamal Lewis
    Willis McGahee
    Deuce McAllister/Reggie Bush
    Julius Jones/Marion Barber
    Joseph Addai
    DeShaun Foster/Deangelo Williams
    Laurence Maroney

The unknowns (but still guys I take a 1 to 1 trade for CB any day):
    Kevin Jones
    Cadillac Williams
    LaMont Jordan
    Cedric Benson
    Marhawn Lynch
    Brandon Jacobs
    (LenDale White/Chris Henry)

And the seeming poor (in comparison):
    Vernand Morency/Brandon Jackson
    (Chris Brown)

Let's test Henry and White out. Let them compete with each other and try the winner out. If it doesn't work out, lets move on sooner than later (lots of good backs out there). If CB comes in, he could win the job; and the above would be the result in my opinion.

6. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

What the hell has LenDale shown you guys to say he'll compete for #1? He wasn't fit to carry T. Henry's jock last year. He struggles with hammy issues both years we've had him, he missed several days in training camp because of MULTIPLE COLDS, and he has the work ethic of a VA hospital employee. Plus I don't think his hands are close to Brown's.

Brown CLEARLY is a step above LenDale. It wasn't just his big fat gut that made him plummet off of teams first round boards.

7. smili

smili Starter

I doubt we can get the straight story, but I'd bet that Irons was higher on our draft board.

8. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

He's only been with us for one year.

9. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

That's a bold assumption. Especially considering all the vols fans that are also Titans fans, myself included.

People are just giving their opinions on Chris Brown. He "could" have a break-out great season. I don't think he will, and I certainly think the odds are heavily against it. 2004 was 3 years ago.

I mean if we are just discussing signing him up as a scrub who maybe gets 1 or 2 carries a game, fine. Talking about him competing as starting RB would serve no purpose for this franchise, unless the Titans are giving up on C.Henry and L.White.

10. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

What a difference a year makes, eh?

Entering '06, most here were ready to cut our losses with T. Henry. I remember some willing to take a sixth for him.

Yet Brown can't be a productive RB?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar