Titans still in flux at backup safety

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans Insider, Aug 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titans Insider

Titans Insider Titans News

Defensive coordinator Jerry Gray said the signing of safety Tracy Wilson today isn’t necessarily an indictment of current safety reserves Robert Johnson and Aaron Francisco. But Gray hopes Wilson can offer competition at the position.

“We’d always been kind of short there because of (injured rookie Markelle Martin), and it gave us a chance to bring another guy in,” Gray said. “We’re not trying to find a body and say, ‘Hey, you’re just going to fill a role in training camp.’ Because those guys can see right through that.

“Were trying to find somebody that’s going to make and push the other guys in front of him, and hopefully make those guys better. If not, he takes their spot.”

Martin, a sixth-round pick, has yet to practice in training camp because of a knee injury. Coach Mike Munchak said it’s getting harder and harder for Martin to make an impression on the coaching staff in camp.

“There is no doubt he doesn’t want to be missing time and you want him here. So it’s frustrating for him. We are just bringing in a lot of young guys to get a feel for what may fit depending on those guys who have health issues like Markelle, depending on how quickly he can get back or can’t get back. We are still hoping for the best and maybe we will see him here on the field in a couple of weeks and he will still have a chance to show us what he can do.”

Source: Titans Insider

2. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

No love for Markelle Martin?

3. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

He's on the PUP list.

I like Babs but don't think he's a long-term answer. I would not be surprised to see the Titans snatch a S off the waiver wire after final cuts.

4. LANGSTER

LANGSTER Pro Bowler

I am not sure our two starters are any good. We have a journeyman in Babs that was on the street a year ago, and we just over paid a safety in griffin that doesnt like contact and does not excel at anything. I think when Martin gets healthy he will be a player. I am really shocked that robert johnson has not panned out he was an excellent college player.

5. ToddTheTitan

ToddTheTitan GoTitans Homer

What exactly happened to Martin? Haven't been able to find anything. Is he out for the year?

6. LANGSTER

LANGSTER Pro Bowler

Think it is the same injury he has had since before the combine. To my knowledge, he is not out for the year he has just not been cleared to play from the old inj. Which sux because he is getting behind and we need all the help we can get. This San Francisco guy cannot play at all I hope he never makes the roster

7. ImATitan

ImATitan Pro Bowler

Martin needs to get healthy asap. I hope he makes the final 53 and is the main S backup. Robert Johnson should beat out Francisco & Wilson as the 4th S on the roster.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar