Titans talk to Heyward-Bey at Combine

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by TitanJeff, Feb 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Why? He was a non producer at Maryland.

2. Keeferdog

Keeferdog Starter

Heyward-Bey is from my area and I have friends who worked with him in high school. He attended one of the nicest private schools in Baltimore and it's not one of those schools that takes in any great athlete from Baltimore City. He's an intelligent and responsible kid and would make an unbelievable addition to our team. I pray that this is the year we finally land a pro bowl WR. If not, I'll take one of the corners. Just my two cents. It's nice to know sometimes that your getting a player of high character so that's why I shared this info.

3. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

screw that. I want a guy that carries $10,000 in a Hefty bag, fights dogs, runs people into the median on the interstate and is prone to self inflicted gunshot wounds... also shedding tears in defense of his quarterback is always a plus.

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

Haha!

5. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

I don't know where Bey will land finally, but one guy I'm liking more and more is Brian Robiskie. He has about everything but the speed. Dad is Terry Robiskie, the Falcons receivers coach. Seems like he's worked himself to just outside the "freak of nature" range, following Crabtree, Maclin, Harvin, DHB, Britt and Nicks. Ran a 4.51 at the combine, but just did everything so well. High character, extremely hard worker. I would take him with our pick in two, but he just may not be there.

I would just settle back into expecting either a corner, or Britt or Nicks. Hey, maybe even Jared Cook, the freak TE from South Carolina who posted a 4.5 40 (2nd in combine history to Vernon Davis, 4.37) and had a 41" vertical, 6'5" 246. I can see the Titans talking to this guy, and trading Scaife on or before the draft for a 2nd or 3rd round pick, or to move up in a round or two.

Anyway, speed kills, and I think four receivers easily go before our pick. If we're taking one high, be prepared it's going to be a guy who runs closer to 4.5 than 4.4, so the question becomes who is the best pure recevier out of those guys. I dunno, but considering that, I may have to consider Robiskie at #30. Can't believe I'm saying that, but I think this guy's going to be a coach's player.

6. Eddyc85

Eddyc85 Go Bucks!

He ran a good 40 so we will probably draft him if we can.

7. Young54

Young54 Starter

^^^ Absolutely NOT true!!!

He ran a 4.30! That’s fast! I don’t understand why everyone says he has no hands…has anyone here watched him play? He didn’t drop that many balls at Maryland. Most deep passes to him where incredibly overthrown or picked-off. Our QBs sucked, and I’m extremely impressed with what he did. And like I said before, he is a great run blocker. He’s a big reason as to why Maryland has a great running game. Heyward-Bey is a great fit for the Titans. He played in an offense almost identical to ours, and he was successful. I wouldn’t expect him to get amazing stats… no WR in our offense ever will, but he will do the little things right. He can open the running game, take reverses to the house, and give us the needed big plays. I’m not sure if he will be there when we pick, but if he is…GET HIM!!! I might even consider trading up to get him.

Darrius Heyward-Bey is a perfect fit for the Titans!

8. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Again he did not destroy or blow up the acc in any of the 3 years he played! Never even had a 800 yard season receiving.

Bey was 10th in pass receptions per game in the conference. 10th!

He was 9th in yards receiving per game.

If he is such a monster stud why didn't put up big numbers? Why was his average yard per catch never higher than 15.4?

Both nicks and britt were dominate performers in their conferences but bey was not.

9. Eddyc85

Eddyc85 Go Bucks!

When it comes to college stats are really meaningless. If they meant something Graham Harrell would be the #1 pick and Jarrett Dillard would be a first rounder.

Physically Heyward-Bey has all the tools because he seems to me to be an incredibly gifted athlete. I don't care much about production because if you look at the QB Maryland had (Chris Turner) he had a TD:INT ratio of 13:11 so obviously he's not very good. Even Calvin Johnson one of the best college receivers I've ever seen could have had better numbers if Reggie Ball wasn't his QB. The only problem I have with Heyward-Bey is he is a project. So I wonder how long it will take before he reaches his full potential or if he can ever reach his full potential.

It's like last year, I wanted either Devin Thomas or DeSean Jackson. I figured both were projects to an extent but Thomas was much more of a project and Jackson could make a quicker impact. Both turned out to be true. While I think Thomas will be the better player for a team like us that needs an immediate impact now so we can win the Superbowl next year I just have to wonder if his impact would be too late. I dunno. I'd rather just sign T.J. for an instant impact and go defense in round 1.

10. Young54

Young54 Starter

Both your questions have already been answered. Why do DHB haters insist on bringing this up?

The doesn’t have many receptions because Maryland didn’t throw it much (like the Titans). Look up the teams rushing stats. They clearly relied on Da’rel Scott for most of their offense last year, and Keon Lattimore and Lance Ball the years before. His yards per reception is average because when Maryland did pass, they sucked. They also looked at TE Gronkowski (who killed it in the combine) a lot. They focus on short passes to the TE more than deep throws (like the Titans) and when they did go deep, the QBs (Turner and Steffy) both sucked and were horribly inaccurate (like the Titans).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar