Titans talk to Heyward-Bey at Combine

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by TitanJeff, Feb 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

but calvin johnson produced despite having a bad qb, and is still doing it in the nfl.

johnson put up over 800 yards all three years of his career, 1200 in his junior year. DHB hasn't had more than 800 EVER.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. Eddyc85

Eddyc85 Go Bucks!

But Calvin Johnson is also a very special player DHB isn't that type of player. And again why do people bring up stats? To me, college stats are meaningless.

3. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Bullcrap bey accounted for just 22.5% of all their passing yards and 18.5% of all their pass completions. The terps completed 214 passes and bey accounted for 42 of those. Big damn deal!

And no i'm not going to ignore college stats that's what we did when we drafted paul williams.

If bey is such a monster stud athlete why didn't he do more for his team?

Kenney britt had more than twice as many catches 87-42 and a higher yards per catch.

4. Eddyc85

Eddyc85 Go Bucks!

I remember having a debate with someone and they were convinced Sidney Rice would make a much better pro than Ted Ginn and his big argument was because of Rice's great college stats which were much better than Ginns. Two years later I'm proven right. That's why I don't care about college stats.

5. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Comparing rice to ginn is not nearly the same because ginn was a better producer than bey has been. Ginn had to share the ball with gonzales, robiskie and hartline. Who is taking catches away from bey?

Ultimately the ginn vs rice argument is not yet settled because ginn may have peeked as a player and rice did improve from his rookie year and may equal his production next year.

If college stats don't matter than we should draft brooks foster in rd 1 because he is probably the best pure athlete at that position.

In fact why not just draft a couple of track guys who didn't play at all? What a person actually did on the field don't matter right?

6. Eddyc85

Eddyc85 Go Bucks!

Actually Rice got much worse from his rookie season. Went from 30 catches (pretty bad) to 15 (horrible) so he's failed to impress me.

But on the same token why didn't Jason Rivers make our team? He had great college numbers. The point is Heyward-Bey has great intangibles to be a good receiver, he's a project, that was my point.

7. TheSureThing

TheSureThing Straight Cash Homie

Bey's 4.30 40 time actually pisses me off because now the little shot we had at him has diminished.

I'm hoping he falls because hes got superstar written all over him to me.

8. Young54

Young54 Starter

You really want to compare Calvin Johnson to Heyward-Bey? That’s ridiculous. Coming out of college I would take Calvin over any of the receivers this year, last year, the last few years, and probably the rest of the century. He should have been the first overall pick.

Again, they mostly looked to the tight end, running backs, and other short routs. Most passing plays consisted of DHB running vertically and Turner dumping the ball short. They just couldn’t get him the ball. Most of his catches came from screens and quick routs, but Maryland insisted on running him on deep routs the majority of the plays. To be honest, it was just horrible game planning by the Fridge.

Everyone wants to bring up why he doesn’t have the stats to back up his talent. That is due to the team, and not the player. It’s all comparable…

In 3 season he became 2nd in school history in career receiving yards with 2,089 and 3rd in both receiving TDs (13) and receptions (138). Statistically speaking, Darrius Heyward-Bey is one of the best Wide Receivers in Maryland’s history. That’s a list that includes Frank Wycheck, Vernon Davis, and the all time leader (in most stats) Jermaine Lewis. Maybe those stats don’t stand out when compared to other football programs, but the argument that he didn’t contribute to his team is absurd.

His 694 receiving yards in 2006 broke Maryland’s record for most yards in a season by a Freshman. That’s impressive for someone who “was a track star, not a football player.” Like I mentioned before, I personally thought that was his best year because he was able to establish great chemistry with Sam Hollenbach. The two years after that, he struggled to establish chemistry with the 3 idiot QBs they kept shuffling around. He improved aspects of his game even with worse and worse QB play. I can’t complain with that.

It all depends on the team. On that same note, no wide receiver the Titans bring in will have break out stats. No matter how talented they might be. We could bring in Randy Moss or Calvin Johnson (or whoever you think is the best WR in the league) and they would not produce big numbers by “traditional” standards. It just wont happen.

9. Young54

Young54 Starter

^^^ Man...I thought this was a good post. Nobody has anything to say about it??? That stinks!

Still hoping for a Washington, Gage, DHB, and Hawkins combo!

10. Smart***Titan

Smart***Titan Camp Fodder

OK... I'll bite... play a little devil's advocate... What makes you think he can be anything more than a #3 receiver that makes one or two deep catches a season... ie a Devery Henderson? I saw him play only two games this year, once live against MTSU, where he had an long TD, and against NC state. I've also dug up a lot of scouting info on him... Other than that one catch (which happened to be like 15% of his entire yardage for the season), I saw a guy who struggled against bump and run coverage, and made at least two bad drops, one which probably would have been a TD. While he is obviously a burner, he lacks great agility and quickness in space. He is also not a great route runner, so while he will still be able to outrun NFL corners, if he is bodied up at the line of scrimmage, he's going to run into problems. And while everyone went gaga over his 40 time, (which was expected, so I'm not sure why everyone was surprised) people failed to notice that he measured almost an inch and a half under his listed height... he's 6'0 5/8". So less than an inch taller than a Harvin, and basically the same height as Maclin.

He does have a great vertical, but he doesn't have good timing for the ball in the air, usually catching it well below it's highest point. And despite playing in an offense that is not the kindest to WR's, his numbers just don't illustrate a player that is going to dominate in the NFL.

I totally understand cheering for "your guy", I'm a huge Gator fan, and Harvin is "my guy". But I'll throw out a guy who I think compares a lot to DHB from UF... Chad Jackson. Chad was a good receiver at Florida, he was a high school track star, and a downfield threat for Zook, Meyer used him more for screens and crossing routes. Chad had questionable hands, however he tore it up at the combine... Measured out at 6"1", 212, ran a 4.33 40 time, great vertical. He was much quicker in space than DHB, as tough or tougher player, definitely more attitude problems though. The guy's been a total bust so far.

Obviously, DHB could end up learning to run great routes, become focused on making routine catches, and turn out to be the next Randy Moss... but it's much more likely that he turns out to be a guy who can stretch the field a bit, and be a middle of the roster player. That's not worth a first day pick IMHO....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar