Titans to have $41 mil in cap room in '07

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, Sep 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sledge

Sledge Guest

Well, you guys are way wrong. These two teams just sign free agents to make a statement with the fans, not to improve their team. Good GMs and good franchises fill needs ans sign FAs because they know they are a good fit. I for one never understood why the Skins signed those two overrated Wrs and especially Adam Archuleta. He was horrible the last two years in St. Lou. The Rams are another example of signing FAs with a blindfold on. Look at the Colts, Steelers, Jags, Seahawks, etc. when you wanna look at how to play the free agency market. Don't look at Detroit, SF, Arizona (nice signing there with Edge). The Seahawks' best FA signing this year probably was one of their own, FB Mack Strong. The Steelers have rarely signed a FA who has turned out to be a bust. Even Charlie Batch was a good signing. Even the Vikes have had success in FA in recent years, and it's starting to pay off now.

2. TM

TM Starter

Bell and Starks are probably the only two Titans that deserve a new contract. Big Al's contract doesn't expire until after the 2007 contract. So he is not an absolute necessity.

I'd focus on a couple of FAs at the cheaper positions like Eric Steinbach the OG of the Bengals and Ken Hamlin (if he returns to form) the S from the Seahawks.

Then I'd focus on developing into a pay as you go team. Use the cap space to pay off the bonuses that are due next spring and the bonuses that will be incumbered by the 2007 rookie class. That way we don't push any future amoritization into 2008 and beyond.

There's no way the Colts let Freeney see free agency. Even if he did, I would'nt pursue him. Realistically the Titans are several years away from a deep playoff run. It would be foolish to spend like drunken sailors now. Save the cap space until Vince has develped and we really need it.

3. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

You can't save capspace for future seasons. As long as you don't make a lot of backloaded contracts there's no problem in spending money next year.

4. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

Freeney won't hit the market. The bottom line is that there has never been a championship team built through FA. The nature of FA is that teams have to overspend for a decent talent, and all of the available players were LET GO by their previous teams. Drafting well is the only way.

5. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

I think it's safe to say that any championship team has a couple of FA signings, like the Pats Rodney Harrison and the Steelers Farrior and Hartings. But you can't have a good team if you can't develop the players you've drafted, just like the Patriots and Steelers have.

6. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

the jags defensive starters at the beginning of the season had 5 FA starters.

teams like the redskins go out and get the best players, no matter how they have been used in previous seasons and how they will be used in their system. things dont work like that. you need guys who will be put in position to succeed.

7. TM

TM Starter

Technically you can't transfer cap space from one year to the next. But my first post explained how it can be done.

For example, C. Hope has around a 4M roster bonus due in 2007. If we pay that bonus in 2006 with our excess space, then we have effectively transferred that space from 2006 to 2007 because his bonus is no longer due in 2007.

The same thing can be done in 2007. Pay the rookie bonuses that year and don't push any money into 2008 and beyond if at all possible.

What you have to remember is that when you sign FAs, that in the out years their base salaries go up. You need to be in a position to cut these guys if need be without incurring dead money because you pro-rated their signing bonuses from the start.

What I'm suggesting is a different salary cap model than we have used in the past, with the objective being to stay significantly under the cap year after year after year.

8. Bobo

Bobo Guest

Looks like all the discipline things are well behind him, and have been for awhile.

The guy has been an excellent DT for some time now. I wouldn't pay him a John Henderson type contract, but no way I'd just let him go.

9. moose4now

moose4now Starter

What!!

If you have a chance to take a major piece away from one of you division opponents you do it. That way you are closing the gap that much more.

Especially, when you still have room to make more moves.

We all know it's not going to happen.

But, if there's a chance he's available, go get him.

10. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar