Titans to have $41 mil in cap room in '07

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, Sep 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. titansfan9

titansfan9 Camp Fodder

Bulluck and Freeney too, have ties. Both were teammates at Syracuse.

2. moose4now

moose4now Starter

I didn't realize that.

3. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

that would be awesome.

4. TM

TM Starter

There is no assurance that Freeney would be healthy and/or productive when the Titans are in position to contend for a superbowl, which is at least 3 years away in my opinion.

It's a better option to first try and draft a DE during that interim period. If that fails, then conserve your cap space as I explained, then go into FA if necessary when Vince has progressed and the team is ready to contend for the superbowl.

Freeney will command in the neighborhood of a 20 million dollar signing bonus. Even with a 5 year contract that's 4 million per year added in amoritization alone. Plus by the third year of his contract his base salaries will be high. So you'll be talking a cap hit in the 8-10M range by his third year.

Better to wait, try and draft the expensive position groups and buy one at the last minute if you have to.

The objective isn't just to get better next year. Patience is a virtue.

5. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Don't you remember in 2000 when the Redskins went out and signed Deion Sanders, Bruce Smith et al.

6. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Don't be so sure. Colts have ALOT tied up in Manning, Harrison, Wayne etc.

Freeney will probably command the highest ever DE contract, I can't see the Colts affording that, or if they do they wouldn't have much for the rest of their Free Agents when they come up.

7. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

That may be true, but without Freeney, the Colts' defense is not in the top 15. He's a game changer, a true rarity... at a position that every team covets. Behind Peyton and Wayne, he would probably be their third priority to lock down long term.

8. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Harrison is in the middle of his big contract. I believe Wayne and Harrison are both paid top 10 money

Tarik Glenn is worth a bit too i think.

But we'll see after the season.

9. Crash Override

Crash Override inVINCEable

You build your team through the draft. You sign free agents for veteran expiernece or to fill a hole. But you build your core by drafting key starters, and more importantly depth. This is something we don't do. Look at the Redskins, everybody thought they would be great, but they are not. Signing free agents is a waste of money IMO. I mean look at the 49ers right now. They had 10 million or so in cap space and writers were critizing them for not signing free agents. Yet they have just resigned their key young players in Spencer, and Adam Snyder. They are looking to sign Gore as well. It's all about the draft, not free agency.

10. SupDawg

SupDawg Guest

What's with everyone's man crush on Freeney? geez.... He's overated IMO....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar