Titans up their contract propsal to Al

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Bobo, Feb 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. psychotictitan

psychotictitan Its About That Time...

I'm convinced you smoke crack

2. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I asked before but never got a reply. What is the ultimate goal for a first-round pick? It's to hopefully have that player become a core guy. An All-Pro. You want to be able to build a team around that player. You want a difference-maker.

In the case of Haynesworth, it happened. I can't say there has been another defensive player in the league who has made more of an impact.

Jon Gruden made a good point the other day. If the Titans had the #1 pick in this draft, and Haynesworth was in it, he'd be taken #1. It would be the biggest no-brainer out there. And the #1 player will get $35 mil guaranteed so why not give that to AH?

Unless you feel rookies taken early in the draft are extremely overpaid (which I do), it's hard to make the case AH doesn't deserve that kind of deal.

• High Five High Five x 3
  3. Smash

Smash 2017 Survivor Winner

The problem is he (alledgely) wants the same amount in salary in a 5-6 year contract. 10% af the cap on one single guy is IMO too much - no matter who he is.

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. tennygrl619

tennygrl619 Rookie

Hey hey hey now, we women don't understand him either.

5. TBC_titan

TBC_titan Camp Fodder

True, but I don't think this was a full blown rebuild year...maybe a 'tune up' and a 'valve job' but by no means an overhaul. That's what 2006 and 2007 were.

And I didn't make that statement in the total sense of implying a correlation. I was just saying.

We lost to Baltimore for the same reason that the Cards lost the SB...lack of discipline and a **** ton of penalties.
    A good team executes as flawlessly as possible, and keeps their mistakes down to a minimum. We did not keep our mistakes to a minimum.
    You can be deployed in a combat zone for six months...paying attention, keeping an eye out and you've survived so far, but let one single slip of discipline happen, then you're dead.
    You wanna win the SB, you have to stay disciplined. If your players aren't playing disciplined, then you as a coach need to adjust your coaching strategy.

While the players themselves committed penalties, it's still ultimately on the shoulders of the coaching staff to ensure their players have discipline.

I hope we can keep them, but won't be too bent out of shape if we don't.

6. psychotictitan

psychotictitan Its About That Time...

If you lose discipline out in the battlefield and get shot then you have no one else to blame but yourself. Your combat instructor during training i'm sure repeatedly drilled into your head the do's and dont's of combat and how to stay disicplined. Now you cant put the blame on the teacher if you get shot and say its his fault because he didnt train you right. Fisher i'm sure told the players before the gm that turnovers can be the difference of going home or advancing and if you do the right things and not turn the ball over,you win the game. The players know just like soliders know that if they slip their done but we're all human, people lose focus and sh*t happens despite how much training or coaching you may have gotten.

7. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Yes...

I'm not sure what's dangerous about my thinking. If Collins goes down VY or a cheap vet play. Those are our current choices anyway.

With an AH and a high D draft pick, we literally could absorb an injury to our QB, WR, RB, or LT a lot better because we could keep games close and win at the end.

If you go the other route...not re-signing AH (weakening the D) and your newly aquired Anquan Boldin goes down, or Collins goes down, or CJ goes down, or Roos goes down...it's gonna be MUCH harder to keep winning since the D doesn't really have the talent to 'step it up.' When you can hold teams to 10 points per game or less, you have a chance no matter what your dire offensive situation is. We saw that last year in games.

So what's dangerous about my thinking???

Gut

8. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Um...

Saturday will be 34 before the season starts. At what level do you think he plays now and at what level do you anticipate him being at 7 years from now at 41???

You wanna sign a 34 yr old OC who's already starting to decline to replace our 38 yr old OC who's simply further along on the decline? Exactly how does that help us? It costs us MORE money on the cap for 1 position than we're already paying and is he much better than Mawae at this point? Probably not significantly so if at all. So what's the point?

The only ways we're gonna replace Mawae (IF we replace him this year) will be with Leroy or a draft pick. Both are cheaper and longer lasting.

9. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Well...

We didn't lose to baltimore because of a lack of discipline and a ton of penalties, we had a lot of penalties because some players let some of their discipline slip and the refs blew some calls. We lost to Baltimore because we had too many penalties, we missed a FG, and most importantly, turned the ball over too many times. We don't turn the ball over that last time (still losing the TO battle) and we WIN that game regardless of lack of discipline and the ton of penalties. We needed 4 things working against us to lose that game and they all worked against us.

And by the way, comparatively, James Harrison punches a Cards player TWICE and DOESN'T get thrown out of the game? I guess your player of the year can have a lack of discipline and you CAN still win the Super Bowl!

In general, I agree that you want to be as disciplined as you can be and commit the fewest mistakes in order to optimize your chances. However, Fisher does generally run a tight ship and outside of talking to the team about it several times...what else can he do? Are you gonna bench KVB for a quarter of the game because he jumped offsides on a key 3rd down play?

And let's not use military comparisons. No one's getting shot dead on the field, so this isn't a good comparison. However, the comparison that if you lose focus it's YOUR fault and not your camp pendelton instructor who drilled and drilled this into you. There is only so much you can do. If the Titans were constantly committing large numbers of penalties, then it's Fisher's fault for the atmosphere. But as I said, he usually runs a tight ship!

Gut

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar