Titans/ Vince Young

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by jdee, Feb 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VolnTitan

VolnTitan Starter

Interesting article Riverman...

2. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

Great post. I was about to post something similar. ~

3. nigel

nigel Back on the bus

I really dont think the Titans cherish mobile QBs that much. If they did, they'd have never let Jason Gesser go ;)

4. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

If he has proven anything, he is elusive. His size hopefully makes him more durable than Vick has been.

5. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

Rex Grossman blew out his knee trying to run for a touchdown from 9 yards out. Troy Aikman was a statue, but also won 3 superbowls. John Elway wa one of the best passers the league has ever seen, and after his 4th year in the league, he rarely ran, he beat you with his arm. Vince Young is not the caliber passer that Aikman or Elway were, he's more in the mold of Charlie Ward like someone earlier compared.

I can't think of a successful running QB to come out in the last 15 years. I'm just not big on running QBs because the durability factor is multiplied. QBs are the least durable player on any given team, if they run the ball more, they become that much less durable, it only takes one hit. And because Vince might be bigger doesn't make him more elusive, it does the exact opposite, creates a bigger target for someone to drill. Michael Vick is the most elusive player in the NFL, and he gets beat up week afte week.

6. maximus

maximus Starter

He is more durable, and will be able to shed tackles more than Vick does.

7. VolnTitan

VolnTitan Starter

There is a difference between a QB that is a running QB and a QB that can run. What I mean is that Vick is a running QB in my mind. He isn't one to hang in there...he is always looking to run. Almost a run first, kind of QB. I would agree, they are put in harms way more. A QB that can run, in my mind, is one that thinks pass first and run if have to. I look at it like a car. If you have 2 cars that are exactly the same in every aspect...same speed, comfort, etc...but one car has 4 wheel drive, heck I would take the one with 4 wheel drive. Sure that is a simplified explanation, but you get my gist.

8. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

I get what you are saying...but then, do you take the car with the diagnostic computer or without?

I guess what I am thinking right now, who will have a longer productive career? Vince Young who is more prone to injury like McNair, or someone else who doesn't put themselves in harms way as frequent. With McNair, we had about a 2-4 year window where we had a chance, that's not very good considering he will end up playing in the league for 10+ seasons. Whereas, someone like Tom Brady, who doesn't run, but could if he needed to, will have more years where he can consistently have a shot to take his team all the way, because, for no other reason, he'll be on the field and not in the training room. The hits are going to take a toll on Vince and thus keep him in the Training room taking away from his progression on the practice field learning the nuances and getting a rythm much like it hindered McNair.

9. V-MAN

V-MAN I still believe

Charlie Ward??? What are you smoking!

Anyway. Last year Grossman's injury was because the pressure around him collapsed and he couldn't get out of the pocket. The year before that he was trying to get into the endzone. So, either way you could make an argument. My point is it doesn't matter if you are running with the ball or standing in the pocket. You still get hit regardless. Peyton may not get sacked an entire game, but rest assured he probably got hit 10 times. Every player on the field gets hit. It's part of the game.

Oh and I wasn't comparing Youngs career with either Aikman or Elway. But I do believe he could be better than the both of them.

10. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

Did you ever watch Charlie Ward at FSU, he was amazing.

Peyton's 10 hits are alot less devastating than the 10 Vick takes. You also have to realize, whoever takes Vince isn't going to put him out in space like he was in college. He will be in a more pro-set offense, creating more people around him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar