Titans vs. Bills Hall of Fame game thread

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, Aug 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

He was also playing against a second string defense. No excuses.

2. NewsGrabber

NewsGrabber Guest

Some postgame thoughts on Titans

<em>Posted by ESPN.com's Paul Kuharsky</em> <p>Some quick hits on the Titans in the wake of their preseason opener, a 21-18 win over Buffalo in the Hall of Fame Game:</p> <ul> <li>In our first real glimpse, veteran receiver <a href="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=9307" target="_new">Nate Washington</a> appeared to add just what the Titans were looking for when they signed him away from Pittsburgh -- a more dynamic pass catcher.</li> <li>If you don't think quarterback <a href="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=3560" target="_new">Patrick Ramsey</a> looked better than <a href="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=9589" target="_new">Vince Young</a>, particularly in the command department, you weren't watching the same game I was.</li> <li>It looked to me as if rookie running back <a href="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=12520" target="_new">Javon Ringer</a> was better than the competition he was on the field against. He may not have <a href="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=10494" target="_new">Chris Henry</a>'s measurables, but he's just more of a football player. In four more preseason chances, he's got to get some carries with at least the second string.</li> <li>The deep defensive line is going to have to come in waves and stay fresh, but if the group stays healthy, it has the horses. NBC did a nice job spotlighting second-round defensive tackle Sen'Derrick Marks in the second half, showing us his combination of strength and speed.</li> <li>I thought rookie linebacker <a href="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=12694" target="_new">Gerald McRath</a> showed up a lot on special teams.</li> <li>Is it better as a quarterback to come in, complete a pass, throw a pick six and get replaced ... or not to play? I'm guessing fourth-stringer <a href="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=12821" target="_new">Alex Mortensen</a>, and his dad, ESPN's Chris Mortensen, would both choose the first scenario, but I'm sure it felt lousy Saturday night. Ramsey returned to finish things after the interception return by the Bills pulled them within five points.</li> <li>Veteran safety <a href="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=4612" target="_new">Donnie Nickey</a> has absolutely no argument about the flag he drew for the head shot he delivered to <a href="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=11784" target="_new">Jonathan Stupar</a> late in the fourth quarter. That could make the officials tape as an example of what they are trying to prevent.<br /> </li> </ul>

Link to full article

3. Titanium

Titanium TITANFN Staff

I didn't read this entire thread either.... but some of the things that stood out to me ...

Both Davis' are probably history. I keep waiting for Chris Davis to "breakout" and it just doesn't happen.

Where was the offensive line when CJ was in the game? It just appeared that he didn't have much blocking. He had a great run, then of course, we put LenDale in to score the points. I know why the Titans do it, because it works, but I still think it stinks that CJ can get us down the field, then they yank him and give the ball to LenDale.

Kerry looked good to me, but he was lucky he wasn't picked off. Vince looked very rusty, but the throw to Williams for the TD was nice. Vince looked like he was pouting on the sidelines and remained to himself. Brings back memories of last season. Collins and Ramsey sitting together, with Vince all by himself pouting... Not important I know, but something that you just can't help but notice.

I loved the fake punt by Trapasso. Hentrich couldn't even come close to running that play that effectively. Trapasso showed some speed, and his fake behind the back was incredible! I thought the punt was blocked at first. Would it be strange to keep two punters on the roster?

I thought Donnie Nickey looked pretty good (except for the bonehead tackle he made). You probably won't ever see me type that Donnie Nickey looked good again, I still think he has photos on somebody.

Our special teams need some serious help. Alan Lowry has got to the lack of tackling taken care of.

I think Bud really wanted to win this game. I wish the network would have shown him a little love. They didn't mention Bud Adams and he was one of the founders of the AFL.

4. goTitans.com

goTitans.com A living legend. Staff

Titans Win Hall of Fame Matchup

SUMMARY: The Tennessee Titans opened the '09 preseason with a 21-18 win over the Buffalo Bills in the Hall of Fame game. Kerry Collins looked good in his brief work going 7-for-10 for 82 yards. "We made some plays,'' Coach Jeff Fisher said. "And we got what we wanted out of the quarterback position.'' The highlight of the game was a 40-yard TD run by punter A.J. Trapasso on a fake punt. On the next series LenDale White scored on a 3-yard run to make it 14-0. "It was a good start," Collins said. "We executed our offense and played fast out there. We converted a few third downs, which was a good thing, and made some plays in the passing game. It was nice to get a touchdown drive.'' Next Saturday, the Titans play their preseason home opener against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers at 7 pm.

View full article
    What do you think about this story? post your comments below.

5. ColeJ.

ColeJ. Right Brigade

i noticed that too, late in the game...

but i took some signs of hope from when kerry was in the game, and vince had his helmet up against his ear, listening in...

6. GMITTS

GMITTS WHY VY SHOULD BE OUR #3

i was a little worried when cj kept getting stuffed the first couple of drives...but then he finally broke though..
    l-dub looked great... (i may take him with my first pick in my fantasy league)
    collins looked crisp and made good reads
    vy sucked (big shock there)
    our oline continued the great blocking giving collins plenty of time
    our defense looked very solid.

the one thing that worried me was all of the damn holding calls.

other then that great game in my book!

7. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

For such a limited view I'm not reading in too much either direction - but here's my overall impression:

Biggest positives:
    Washington, Cook and Vickerson - they all looked the part to me. In a game where most players looked like it was the 1st preseason game these 3 looked like it was the 1st regular season game.

Still have it:
    Collins, Lendale, KVB & Co., LBs and secondary. Picked up where they left off, IMO. Albert will be missed, but this crew has talent and depth.

Cautious optimism:
    Ringer, Marks, McGrath, Henry
    Not a bad showing... looking forward to seeing more

Most thankful there's 4 more preseason games:
    Hawkins, Young, backup DBs, special teams

8. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

QB performance comparisons..

Rating

Collins 94.6
    Ramsey 96.7
    Young 53.8

All three QBs had the same pass attempts 10.

Yards

Collins 82
    Ramsey 72
    Young 39

Comp %

Collins 70%
    Ramsey 80%
    Young 50%

So it wasn't just the int ramsey outplayed vince in every other area.

The inability to generate yardage is a major concern with vince.

In the jags game last year he only gained 5 yards per pass.

In the colts game 4.2 yards per pass.

In this game 3.9 yards per pass.

The NFL average is 7 yards per pass.

If Ramsey continues to play well through the preseason i would want us to give him a long term deal. He had a passing rating of over 90 in last years preseason.

9. TheSureThing

TheSureThing Straight Cash Homie

Ramsey did it against 3rd and 4th stringers, and Ramsey blows and has blown his whole career. I'll be disappointed if we keep 3 QB's, and devastated if he's the 3rd.

10. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

At least we don't have Christie Simms!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar