Titans want Troupe to reconnect

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by ONUV, May 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ONUV

ONUV Starter

2. PitBull

PitBull Bred to Brawl

Having an elite TE is part of the 'building' which should be done around VY. Our QB's style of play makes it neccessary to have a TE with excellent hands who could be the deciding factor between a 4th quarter win or loss.

I hope Troupe evolves into the playmaker we need him to be.
    I do however remain sold to the idea that we should have drafted Gregg Olsen to the same extent that i was prior to the draft.

3. ZELL22

ZELL22 Starter

All I have to say is that we keep hearing this about Troupe, and he never shows up, he shows flashes, but has not become the dominant TE I thought he'd be by this time in his career. If he doesn't show up this year, then I say we cut our losses, and move on. I am tired of these "Potential" guys, that never amount to anything more than "Potential".

4. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

I agree to a point with "cutting our losses" but I think people are being just a little unfair. Troupe was hurt last year. On top of that he was hurt and missed the 2nd half of the season when VY was finally starting to throw the ball half way effectively. Heck, Scaife only had 29 receptions all year when his rookie year he had 37. In 2005 Troupe shared catches with 2 other TEs and still netted 55 catches for over 500 yards which isn't bad for a TE.
    If Troupe is healthy, knows his assignments and VY can get him the ball I see no reason he can't get 50+ catches again. It isn't like Troupe has done nothing, he has had some success in the past.

5. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Yeah, I don't really get it. If Troupe has TWO bad years in a row, then we might need to get on his case, but the guy had an off year. No big deal.

6. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Troupe is the Calico of TE's. Period.

7. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Troupe MIGHT be the "Calico of TEs" IF he doesn't bounce back from the injury and have a productive year. It is premature to call him a bust IMO.

Here is what is kinda amazing. The guy has 55 catches (although his YPC was slightly under 10) in 2005 and he is the "Calico of TEs? Posters are giddy over getting MeShawn in here who had 70 catches as a starting WR and not much better of a YPC. Troupe has room to improve. Sure it is up to him and he has something to prove but I wouldn't count him out yet. He might be a very important part of our offense this year (or should be). Unlike Calico I could see Troupe being a very productive NFL player, if not for the Titans for someone.

8. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Troupe is a key for the offense. If Chow can count on him and Scaife to be productive, I think we'll be very tough to defend.

But Troupe is a guy who seems to disappear for stretches and has mental lapses. He must become more consistent this season.

9. ZELL22

ZELL22 Starter

What you guys don't realize is, yes he did have 55 catches, but he has a habit of disappearing in stretches, so much so that I even forget he's out there. It seems every since his rookie year, where he was having difficulty adjusting and getting the playbook down, he has been up and down. Last year with him getting injured is just another chapter of him not giving us what we need from the TE position, whether by chance or by lack of something else.

I don't know about you guys but, I have higher aspirations for him than 55 catches in our style of offense. He is more of a playmaker than Tony Gonzalez, and just as much of an athelte or more so than Antonio Gates. There is no reason he can't be a top 3 TE in this league with his talent. That's my expectation of him at this point.

10. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

I haven't seen chit out of him- except for a few flashy plays his rookie year. He has been injury prone as well. His hands appear medium at best- he has dropped many that have hit him in the chest.

I, like everyone else, hopes he breaks out and becomes the stud we hoped he would. But like Calico, there comes a point where you have to call it like it is and move on.

On a 4 lap "Bust" race, Troupe is on the bell lap. He better kick it up a whole lot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar