Titans want Troupe to reconnect

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by ONUV, May 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

We have a bunch of players on their last lap so to speak. We have three 3rd year WRs and at least two of those are on the bubble, Troupe obviously falls into that category and just about everyone on our DL except KVB. Even with some success this year we could still see quite a bit of turnover next year.

I would add Woolfolk in there but he has already fallen down and is all but gone.

2. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Go troupe..

Troupe is one of those guys who can take us to a new level. We need to hope he can play at least at the 05 level. It's easy to be disappointed in him so far but right now we have no choice but to hope he has a solid season.

It's hardly a news item that the titans want more from him.

3. PAtitansfan53

PAtitansfan53 Kush & OJ

Troupe has produced Calico never did.

That comparison is makes no sense to me.

4. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

I think he is a night fit for Young, but it didn't work out, Young likes his Texas teammates. He's got a connection with Scaife. I say one more year and then forget it for Troupe.

5. Bobo

Bobo Guest

Those flashy plays weren't just his rookie year, he showed it in 05 and a few times last year. The guy has serious run after the catch potential, and is a very good athlete for a TE. In that respect, he could help a lot if he has another 50-60 catch year (and we don't just rely on him to catch short routes or screens like was done too much in 05).

I agree about his hands needing a little work, and I don't think he'll ever be an above avg blocker.

6. Nash

Nash Starter

sounds like we plan to ave 2 stronger blocking TE's(Hartsock and Wallace) and 2 stronger pass catching TE's (Scaiffe and Troupe).. I wonder if Keyshawn is being looked at to play as a pass catching TE?? anyone hear anything??

7. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

he will not switch from WR to TE at 33 years old.

8. Troupe a Calico what are you thinking Calico didn't produce anything, he was awful, don't know why we got him. But Troupe has showed alot for us, yeah given that he had a bad year last year he is a good TE!

9. Nine

Nine Starter

Given the rumors of Troupe's struggles with the playbook, I wouldn't be surprised if the relative instability at QB last year contributed to his subpar performance. You gotta figure, he went through three different starting QB's over a five or six week period....Volek through the preseason, then Kerry Collins for three weeks until VY stepped in. I can see where he might have struggled to get settled in the offense, considering the playbook changed every time they changed QB's.

It's also worth noting that while Troupe was healthy, Vince was still struggling mightily as a sub-50% passer....hard for any receiver to be successful under those circumstances. By the time Vince finally settled in and got comfortable, Troupe was already done for the year.

I'm not defending the guy; heck, I'm as sick as anyone of waiting for him to fully realize his potential. However, I also recognize that there were legitimate reasons behind his subpar showing in '06, and that those issues have been resolved.

The QB situation is settled. VY no longer looks like a rookie QB, and has become an extremely poised passer. The stage is finally set for Troupe to step up and start taking full advantage of his remarkable athletic ability.

It's all on him now.

10. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

And you have to add a new OC in the mix after his rookie season. Though he was productive in '05, Chow changed up some of the terminology which Troupe may have had a difficult time adjusting to.

I agree. Though I appreciate the challenges of rotating QBs, a new OC, and the injuries, Troupe has to step up now.

As I said last season about Troupe, I'm sick of hearing about potential too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar