Titans will lose the next 6 games.

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by jessestylex, Nov 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TenACTyrant

TenACTyrant Hey Reynaldo TURN AROUND!

ummm so if demographics matter so much, why has LA consistently failed to hold on to a team? i mean yeah they have stadium issues, but it's not like the georgia dome is the taj mahal.

2. blacktitan

blacktitan Starter

Not a betting man, but I will say this...

If the economics of the matter shift and new ownership of the Titans comes to the metro government and says they need a $500 million upgrade to LP field to compete with Indy and Houston, and the Metro says no, I can assure you that moving will not be out of the question.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. TenACTyrant

$500m upgrade? my god where do you get the stuff you're smoking?

we have a $25m upgrade on the way that's going to bring us a pretty sweet set up. i dont care that we dont have a roof.

4. blacktitan

blacktitan Starter

Good question. I do not know the specifics, but the NFL in LA didn't work before because the city refused to build a new stadium. Even the stadium deal they have now is not in LA. It is not because the average fan there wouldn't support a football team. It is beacuse the community didn't want to fork over public money for a private enterprise. Perhaps the type of corporate business there isn't the NFL suite "type". After all, it is "Hollywood".

5. blacktitan

blacktitan Starter

I noted that the economics of the matter would have to shift. Think in terms of the upgrade to Soldier Field in Chicago. A fresh coat of paint and a new video Board/Sound system isn't the type of upgrades these NFL owners are looking for. Jerry Jones has distroted the market on NFL stadiums. Does LP Field have hotels, shopping malls, night clubs, 5 star restaurants, museums? Those are the types of things these new stadiums are offering corporate clients. $25 Mil is not gonna cut it in terms of renovations.

6. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

I just don't see where this is coming from? We are right in the middle of the most wealthy NFL franchises.

7. TenACTyrant

yeah nothing says sustainable economic model by putting your team over a billion in the hole for a new stadum.

soldier field opened in 1924, and had last had any modification in 1994 when they reduced seating. not the same as a thirteen year old stadium.

$25m will cut it just fine as long as you're still selling all of the tickets, and guess what, the Titans are.

you're way off base on pretty much every assertion.

• High Five High Five x 1
  8. blacktitan

blacktitan Starter

Have you seen the new soldier field? It cost $600 Million to renovate in 2004.

Hey, I didn't say these demands and stadiums were a gold mine for investors, I noted that the market is now skewed. You can't really call $25 million a renovation. That is more like regular maintenance compared to what these stadiums are encompassing.

9. TenACTyrant

i was referring to the last modification prior to Soldier Field overhaul. the point was, you cant compare basically rebuilding a nearly 100 year old stadium to upgrading a 12 year old stadium. it's silly.

the only reason the Colts have what they have is because of Peyton. do you think they'd have Lucas Oil without the support he brought?

you can reference a handful of mega stadiums, which only time will tell if they're sustainable or not, but most of the league plays in regular stadiums.

$25m is getting us new screens, new surround, new amenities, etc. this is middle tennessee, not bel air.

also, there are really only a handful of vacancies for teams. if you think the NFL puts a team in Mexico City you have lost it.

10. blacktitan

blacktitan Starter

LP Field was built in 1999 for $290 million. A $25 million renovation 13 years later doesn't do much when other stadiums are being renovated for twice the amount that LP field cost to build from the ground. Because the stadium was built on a relatively small budget now the upgrade renovation has to come sooner than later, if the stadium is going to remain viable for the Titans. And as for those teams that are playing in "regular" stadiums, their owners are calling for new stadiums or threatening to move (See the Vikings, Chargers and Bills).

Teams abroad are a real possibility (Goodell is already pushing for a team to move to the UK, and they play Bills games in Toronto, and pre season games in Mexico City), especially if teams here feel like they are stuck in stadiums that may have very few revenue streams for them to exploit. Pro sports events aren't just about the game, it is the total game day experience. They offer high end food, shopping, etc. in tehse newer stadiums. If all you can offer is a cold hot dog, a warm beer, and a game, you will be beat out by the so called "mega-stadiums", which are quickly becoming the norm around the NFL.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar