Titans Willing to Match Any Deal Collins Receives

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by NewsGrabber, Feb 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ColtKiller

ColtKiller Starter

I would lose a little sleep if we lost KC. I know he didn't have an incredible year by any means, but if we lose him that officially puts us in the 'teams who need a starting QB' category, which isn't one you ever want to be in

2. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

The first three are the type of towns QBs of KFC's ilk should absolutely avoid like the plague and the next two aren't contenders. Only The Panthers get close and they have their own signings to worry about. I think he regresses to "oakland KFC" or the guy he was the first year here if he signs elsewhere. Bad move for him.
    He's already part of The Titans system. It's simply a numbers game at this point. Collins will be a Titan.

3. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

I think you missed his point.. read his post over again. He's saying that if some team makes a 10M/year offer for Collins don't expect the Titans to match it.

:wave:

4. LT21Titans27

LT21Titans27 Tebow Apostle

This kinda scares me, I am hoping they figure there will be no big offers, which you would think to be true, but in todays market I can never tell

5. dontdraftcutler

dontdraftcutler Downing Sucks. Kelly sucks even more.

damn....at this time last year, imagine the laughs this thread would have gotten. What a difference a year makes. Hell, I was even like, "so what" when we signed him to another year last offseason. Now we're talking about giving him whatever anyone else is willing to give him? I'll say it again...Dayummm...

6. BudAdams

BudAdams SayHelloToMyLittleFriends

that has to make ole VY feel great...

7. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

Bud Adams you are the reason we have VY.

• High Five High Five x 1
  8. GOFIGURETITANS

GOFIGURETITANS Pro Bowler

We are willing match what any other teams has to offer KFC is a joke. We know darn well no one is going to offer this old horse on the steps of the glue factory squat. He'll be back.

• High Five High Five x 1
  9. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

I'm having fun watching the aging QB market drop... a few weeks ago we were talking about a 2 year deal for warner being worth 18-20 million. Now we're seeing that Warner is asking for 12-16 million, and the team isn't offering that yet. I could see us paying Kerry 10-12 million for 2 years, easy.

10. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Um...

Your numbers have to be off. Franchising Cassell costs the Pats 14mil which is the AVG of the top 5 QB's...meaning some are making MORE than that. Almost as relevantly is that there are few QB's in free agency who can legitimately come in and lead your team into the playoffs. At the moment, Garcia and Collins are it. Garcia is coming off a 2 year contract that paid him $15mil...or 7.5/yr avg. Kurt Warner is asking for $14-16 to be a top 5 QB (again, your numbers must be a bit off). The club wanted to give him 8-10mil. Sounds like they're already up to about $12mil.

So there is a market to boost his price up to the $10mil mark...but that doesn't mean it will. The Jets don't sound like they definitely want to bring in a vet like Collins...which would be a great sign for us. Two other factors...Collins wants to go out on top winning a SB. His best chance of that is probably here if he wants to start. I don't think money is THAT much of an issue. His contract will also be worth more than the #'s on it due to Tenn's not having a luxury tax. And perhaps most importantly, he really knows the system and can perform well in it.

It's in both of our best interests to work this deal out...but I don't think I'd give him $10mil/yr. Even if someone offered him $10mil/yr...I'd let him weigh going to Chicago for 10mil or staying here where he knows the offense, likes the atmosphere, gets the benefit of the luxury tax, and can write his songs...for $7.5mil. I don't think the extra couple of mil will be worth giving up a chance at a SB.

Gut

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar