Titans Willing to Match Any Deal Collins Receives

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by NewsGrabber, Feb 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

When the Titans talked about matching my guess is what they were thinking was they could make him an offer that would keep him not neccesarily pay exactly the same.

Also, of all the teams mentioned I'd put the Vikings at the top of the list. The Vikings are in a very similar situation as we are. They have a great defense and the best RB in football. They also have some other players KC could enjoy playing with like Shiancoe, a rising star at TE and Berrian, a 1000 yard WR easily with KC throwing him the ball (he had 964 yards with a 20 YPC average last year). Wade is a nice slot guy and they like the Titans just need to find someone to play WR opposite Berrian.

Say the Vikings offer KC a 10 mil a year contract. KC would probabaly still stay for 8 mil. More than likely a team like the Vikings will offer something closer to 8 if they are really interested and the Titans will easily pay 6 to get him to stay. KC will give us a hometown discount partly because of taxes, partly because of music and partly because he likes it here but also KC doesn't want to be short changed.

2. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Sampling of CAP numbers for NFL QBs in 2008
    http://www.gcobb.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2663&Itemid=1

Brady, Tom Patriots 14,626,720
    Brees, Drew Saints 9,000,000
    Delhomme, Jake Panthers 10,956,666
    Favre, Brett Packers 12,800,000
    Garrard, David Jaguars 9,500,000
    Hasselbeck, Matt Seahawks 9,950,000
    Manning, Peyton Colts 18,700,000
    Palmer, Carson Bengals 13,980,000
    Bulger, Marc Rams 9,005,760

3. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Well...

Well...if I were the Vikes, I wouldn't be stupid enough to offer him exactly what he's worth considering the real possibility the Titans don't keep AH and can match KC for whatever they want. If you're the Vikes, you want to at least slightly over pay him so he has reason to give up the song writing and comfort of Tenn. They have about 19mil in cap space. Offer him a 12mil/yr deal that's good for a 9mil cap hit in yr 1 and you'd cause the Titans a LOT of angst!!!

You're right, the Vikes would be a good fit for him! I could see us offering him 10mil as a counter offer...but I don't think the numbers will get that high nor would I want to be shelling out 10mil/yr for KC.

I'd be just as happy paying Jeff Garcia $7mil plus incentives to come here for a few years.

Gut

4. JayMizzle

JayMizzle Camp Fodder

It seems to me like the org has given up on giving our O.R.O.Y. QB. Let him run and throw when he wants too=happy VY and wins. Is that not the case?

5. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

He won't be going to the Panthers. They're still upset from when he left football. Their fans would crucify them for it.

6. Chapparal97

Chapparal97 Grumpy Old Fart

The rumor mill says the Vikings are more interested in obtaining Rosenfels from the Texans. That would make more sense than Collins anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar