Titans Wisely Keeping Cool in Free Agency

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Mar 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PitBull

PitBull Bred to Brawl

Knowledge talks, wisdom listens :grrhee:

2. PitBull

PitBull Bred to Brawl

yipeeeeeeeeee... :alien:

and then lets try to re-structure Lamont Thompson's contract and lock him in on a 7 yr commitment..

3. TitansCountry25

TitansCountry25 Veteran

Thats the dumbest statement I have ever heard Reindfeldt stating that the FA class is AVERAGE at best!!! If thats the case why did they offer more gaurnteed money to Donte Stallworth if its just avg? Also in that statement thats really gonna make anyone worth anything relaly wanna come in here when you slap them with that broad of stroke. This guy should stick to reading pre-written statements.

4. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Uh, because the cap increased?

5. Slackmaster

Slackmaster Starter

Drew Bennett got overpaid.
    Wade was not made a fair offer by the Titans.
    Henry got a better deal, but the fake/mythical bonuses in contracts are not a good thing. Why "force" a renegotiation? Just pay a fair price for a shorter term.

6. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

You realise that saying the FA class is average, doesn't mean ALL of the players are average ? I mean you do know there's a distinction, right?

7. The Mrs

The Mrs Crush on Casey Starbucks!

It's not Pacman, it's the way the Titans deal with their players. Players started noticing it a few years back. They watched players get kicked out the door. The most damaging was the way that Eddie, Steve, Billy, Chris Brown and then Travis. They see how these guys are really treated like property.

Steve put his body on the line several times, playing injured, putting off surgery, then he gets dealt due to the sacrifices he made and the injuries to his body, and the organization not willing to pay that bonus. Billy and Chris get the cold shoulder from the Coach and the organization and put into a uncomfortable situation. THEN, Travis performs, earns his bonus, the team has the money, balks on paying the bonus and Travis is out the door. Players know that this is a business, but to see players who earn and give to the team, get kicked in the teeth is hard to watch.

Players have said, and I quote, "why should I show loyalty to a team who isn't loyal to it's players." Morale is low. The players have watched a running back and a wide receiver walk out of the door and not seen replacements walk into the door. Drew and Travis may not have been seen as the best players, but they were the best the Titans had. If they weren't, then others would have stepped up and put those two on the bench.

Bottom line, right now, the offense is missing 2 key pieces. Chris Brown wasn't the answer for the past 2 seasons and probably won't be the answer this season. Lendale wasn't the answer last season and had plenty of chances to show us what he's got.

Don't blame Mike R., this is Fisher's masterpiece.

8. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Good post elf,

Didn't it all start with Godfrey? Didn't we keep him around till right before season then cut him?

McNair and Volek were two of the worst publicity disasters regardling players traded/cut in NFL history, in my opinion.

I'm not sure how much it affects other players opinions regarding what we've done with Chris Brown though.

I think it's an important image the Titans need to improve. Long-term loyalty to certain players, and paying the players that deserve it. We are already a small market team, we don't need to give players more reason to not want to play here.

The important thing is, your long-term players, choose wisely. And be honest to the other guys about long term intentions.

9. SupDawg

SupDawg Guest

No one knows for sure, but we definitely have over 20m

IMO, 26 sounds about right.

10. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Yeah, we should start keeping crappy players like Eddie and Steve around, so the morale stays high. :rolleyes:
    Other players we just let walk out the door while they were still worth something, and that does send a bad message. But eddie and steve? You can't play like pure garbage for a couple years proving to everyone that you should be retired, and then expect to keep your job.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar