Titans WR Unit Among Deepest in NFL

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Jul 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

...add to that Bethel Johnson from the Patriots, and Reggie Bush whenever he goes out wide. I think it's cheesy to say this, and it's not even the season yet, but speed kills. Eh, that felt alright. And you know, Stallworth might be ready for a breakout year. Close to 1000 yards with 7 TDs.

2. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Which is better than our #2 and #2 last year.

3. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

How could BJ be running 40 times already? My understanding was that he couldn't be back this early... Can you run full out long before you can play?

4. Carpy

Carpy Disgruntled foreign veteran

Devery Henderson will push Stallworth this year too.

5. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Stallworth had almost 1000 yards.

Did I read a 3 way trade involving him going to the 49ers?

6. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

what was DMase?

7. Brian

Brian Big Fan

Embracing mediocrity is not the way to win a Superbowl. Then again, Fisher has NEVER really had a WR group worth a hill of beans, or true #1 wideout on his team. That said, Mason was great, but his numbers came by default. There was noone else to throw the ball to. He put up some nice numbers catching mostly intermediate range passes, but he's still not a prototypical #1 type WR......IMO

8. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I think Mase put up enough numbers for a couple of seasons to be mentioned along side some of the top #1s at the time. But I do agree with most of the above.

The team went for a long time without that elite #1 WR despite efforts to draft or bring in top talent. Sanders cooled off after a nice start to his career. Kent was a bust. Thigpen never lived up to expectations. Same for Dyson, Pickens, and Calico.

Only Bennett and McCareins really over-acheived but I would not put either in the true #1 WR category.

The Titans may be to WRs what the Ravens are to QBs. Hopefully that changes with the young guys and Givens.

9. H Man

H Man Guest

Very well put.

May I have another Ernest Givins, please?:))

10. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Right now our WR group looks mediocre but IMO there is huge potential.

We all know the situation with Calico. The knee injuries and such have hurt his development but there is still tremendous potential. We simply don't know if he will develop or not but he could have a real good year.

Look at the stats last year for our rookie WRs catches and yards:

Jones 23-299
    Williams 21-299
    Roby 21-289

All three of these guys had injury issues that helped limit their production as well as competing for playing time also limited them but yet their stats are pretty darn decent for rookie WRs in the NFL. Thats why I'm not real sold on the Givens signing simply because I think one, two or all three of these rookies are going to be solid NFL WRs. Roby showed he is one heck of a KR guy and Jones did some nice things with punts as well. These guys have talent and it wouldn't surprise me to see at least one of these guys become a Mason quality WR.

I don't fully agree with Brian's assesment of Mason. Mason proved last year in Baltimore that he is 1000+ yard WR even if he plays in the worst passing offense in the league. Put Mason on Indy and he would be putting up Marvin Harrison like numbers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar