Titans' Young sits vs. Skins for violating team rule

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by jfrancis04, Aug 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nendzone

nendzone All Titans, All the Time

It doesn't fly for me to have Fisher look the other way. That's what reportedly splintered the locker room in Jones' rookie season. One good way to prove that's not the way it's going to be anymore is to leave no doubt that no one gets special treatment.

Of course, it's a lot easier to make a bolder statement on that in preseason. But I think it's worth it for the message it sends to everyone else. This is still a very young team. A lot of these guys still need to hear that message. And that could easily include Vince himself.

2. TNThunder

TNThunder Guest

Both of you make very good points. Team discipline is essential, but getting VY playing time is also critical. I think a heavy fine would have served the purpose, and not kept VY from getting valuable field reps. It's like a kid skipping school...what punishment do they give? A suspension from school.....that never made sense to me.

3. nendzone

I think they're pretty limited as to what they can fine guys for in preseason, and for how much. I mean....it's not like they're making the big game checks right now.

I think it also depends on what they were told the rules were before camp started. They cut a guy (undrafted free agent) a couple of years ago for having a guest in his room against the rules. They could probably cut a guy for staying out a night against the rules. Obviously, they aren't going to cut the franchise. But a benching -- especially for a guy like Vince who has to deal with the media fallout from that -- sends a message that fining him 15 or 20 grand or whatever wouldn't. A fine like that is not as painful for Vince as it is for the rookie who didn't get a signing bonus and doesn't have his bank account. So...hit Young where it hurts another way to make sure the message is received.

IMO.

4. zackmann

zackmann Guest

hit him where it hurts? no one wants to play preseason games...

i still think that fisher gave him the wink/wink/nod/nod to go home and the plan was already in place for him not to play......

5. nendzone

Yes, hit him where it hurts You think Vince enjoyed standing there on the sidelines while the NFL Network national TV audience heard all about how he was suspended for breaking a team rule? Think he liked what it did for his image to have that be one of the topics of discussion on ESPN?

He enjoyed it so much, he ducked out of the locker room after the game without waiting to answer a single reporter's questions.

I think Young does better than most guys his age dealing with the kind of scrutiny he's under. But I also think he hates to be the subject of that kind of mostly negative attention. Just like when he missed the team plane last year.

If it was a wink-wink/nod-nod deal, just say he's not feeling well or something. This strikes me as a legitimate punishment.

6. Your obviously not an athlete. I have never met a true athlete that likes to just sit and watch their team play no matter what type of game it is.

7. I felt bad for VY, everytime they showed him he was trying to hide. You could tell he was really embarrassed. It was a mistake, dang why you guys treating him like he killed someone. WE make mistakes, he is human, although on the field he is not, lol. Anyways cut the guy some slack, maybe it was a sign for him not to play.

8. zackmann

zackmann Guest

i'm obviously not an athlete huh? well, you're obviously......no wait, better not get into name calling...let's just say your ignorant and short-sighted if you think you glean anything about me from that post...

did you watch the chargers-seahawks game last night? Is LT, in your opinion, an athlete? He voiced his pleasure in not playing in preseason games...

9. That just was name calling, so that should be 10%. Or the mods probably just trying to get me a ban.

And i was talking about the mentality of an athlete. He may not have wanted to play because he is afraid of injury, but u cannot tell me that he would rather watch his boys go out there and give it their all and him to just sit on the sideline.

10. zackmann

zackmann Guest

LT seemed pretty content in not playing b/c the games are meaningless to starters and veterans...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar