Tobacco Success Stories

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by SEC 330 BIPOLAR, Jul 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

[​IMG]
    this has been a huge help so far. :)

...but watching my supervisor deteriote with chronic emphysema while he smokes 2 packs a day at work helps a lot too. I'm getting tired of smelling him though. I had no idea how offensive the odor of tobacco is until now.

2. Broken Record

Broken Record Biscuit Eater Staff

Yeah, gum rocks. Try that Orbit in the dark blue pack. It's the stuff.

3. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

I fooled around with smoking occassionally at various points in my life, but I've never really been a smoker. Mostly, when I get several drinks in me, and am at a smoky bar, I want one. Especially since I'm in a relationship with a non-smoker, this happens pretty darn rarely. I'd say I average a little less than a pack per year.

I'm a little conflicted by the tobacco laws. I hate smoke about 98% of the time, and am glad when bars or restaurants are non-smoking. However, I do think that smoky bars are great places on occassion, I've had some fantastic times in smoky bars (thank you new orleans). I don't want to get to the point where I can't find a bar that would allow smoking. Thankfully, I think we're a long way away from there, and I think the current trends and laws are perfectly fine. I definitely think the bar/restaurant owners should have the choice. Maybe the key would be in encouraging them to go smoke free if they want to.

4. cdy_hitt

cdy_hitt Senior...

My Mom, Dad, Aunt, Uncle and a few cousins all smoked for some time. They all quit cold turkey the day my Uncle had a heart attack. We lost him for a minute but miraculously they were able to bring him back with a defibrillator. Doctors said it was caused by smoking and drinking to much This was 8-10 years ago and to this day my Uncle still chews gum all the time. He says he doesn't get cravings anymore but chewing gum is just a habit for him now.

5. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

This is no knock against smokers, but I thank the high n mighty that I never started with cigarettes. I would probably never be able to quit...

6. Blazing Arrow

Blazing Arrow The 12th man

My wife (she was my girl friend at the time) quite for me. I knew she was a smoker but I went along for the ride. I did not think it was going to go anywhere but who knows. We were talking one day and I told her I did not like it and I could not see being in any type of long term relationship with someone who did. It was around new years so she quite for new years. She tried the patch for about 2 days before it was making her have wierd dreams and stuff. She quite that too. It has been 5 years and she is cig free. On occasion she will have one at a bar or something but a pack would probably last 2 years if she had one.

I live in California as some of you know so the smoking laws out here are crazy. Right now they are trying to pass a law that would make it illegal to smoke in your car. Smoking in an apartment with attached walls is also starting to be banned in certain cities. Marin has banned smoking on the street sitting littering as the main problem.

I grew up with a mom that smoked ever day. Sometimes in the car on the way to school. To this day the smell of a cig in a car makes me want to hurl.

7. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

I smoked for 23 years...heavily. I quit on April 12 of this year.

The best way for me to quit is through peer pressure with shame and disappointment as the reward for failure, so I went to a cessation class, which made me automatically accountable to the other patients and the coach. I also used buproprion for a month.

The cravings hit hard every once in a while, and I just sing out loud about how I really want a cigarette. The combination of air movement in the lungs plus addressing the craving head-on makes them go away quickly. The cessation coach has adopted this into her methods. :)

After a while, I forgot that I was a smoker. When cravings hit, I didn't romance it--thinking about smoking and cigarettes and missing them and all that stuff.

Now i can hike, climb, snorkel and all that other neat outdoorsy stuff without getting too winded. I also have learned how much time smoking wastes.

I'd suggest continuing to fight the good fight. We're all watching you now. ;)

8. Sunshine

Sunshine Camp Fodder

My dad was a smoker and quit during his hospitalization for heart bypasses many years ago. My brother recently had two mini-strokes, which he was told were brought on by the condition of his arteries. He's lucky that he seems to be fully recovering from the right-sided weakness he suffered, and he swears that he's smoked his last cigarette. I hope he's right. My cousin's a smoker and has "quit" a few times, but he's not strong enough. He's the one member of my family whom I doubt will ever quit.

I only played with smoking when I was out drinking, but when I realized how bad my hair and clothes (never mind my breath!) smelled the next morning, I decided it wasn't worth it.

Here's an article that recaps the smoking legislation, and here's the actual legislation.

9. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

I was a 12 a day man + doobies for a long time until I got tonsillitis at the age of 32. I was in hospitalized for 5 days with nothing but a drip to keep me going.

As soon as I could get food down (ice cream) I lit one up & ended up on the floor. In a moment of clarity I threw the rest of the death sticks away & never looked back. That was 7 years ago but I still get cravings if I'm having a beer around people who are smoking.

Stick with it J,besides hating the smell,give it a couple of weeks & your taste buds will come back to life.

10. My grandfather was a smoker (I think a pack a day, but maybe more). When the surgeon general came out with the first warning that smoking was bad for your health in the 60s, he decided to stop. He never said he quit, he just said he was going to see how long he could go without smoking. And he never lit up another. He died in 1982 from a stroke, which may or may not have been more likely due to years of smoking, but we'll never know.

For what it's worth, he traded his smoking addiction for a bad peppermint habit. It cost him a lot in dentist bills, but at least he never had cancer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar