Too many role players?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitansWillWin2, Aug 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Based on last night's game where the starters went only a couple of series?

Comical.

2. Alzarius

Alzarius Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

Schemes mean something in the NFL.

Its that whole "playing to your strengths" thing that people mention frequently. No team is doing that right now. Some teams are more talented and it shows but no one thinks we are top of the line talent wise. (maybe "potential" wise but potential isnt results)

Its like saying Manning went retarded in the off season because they ran the pistol and had to dumb it down for him.

1 pre season game, relax. We wont know what we have until the first regular season game when the coaches are using their real game plans.

3. ImATitan

ImATitan Pro Bowler

I wouldn't say we don't have play makers. Ayers & Brown are play makers. Mccourty & Verner often make big plays at crucial stretches. Morgan & Casey as well.

4. TheSureThing

TheSureThing Straight Cash Homie

you can never have too many role players

5. Laserjock

Laserjock South Endzone Rocks! Staff

We need Gandalf in the backfield....definitely Gandalf....

[​IMG]

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

No, based on everything we saw last year and the reputation of the guys we brought in.

Who are we expecting to be the dynamic pass rushers? Morgan and Ayers. Morgan is not that guy, it just isn't his game. Ayers isn't going to be rushing full-time.

Our safeties suck. We know Griffin is garbage. Pollard is an in-the-box safety, hence my point of a lack of a multidimensional player at that position.

The same story at corner. McCourty is a great two, he isn't lockdown. Verner is a great two, he isn't lockdown and doesn't really fit the mold of what the staff wants on the outside.

I've said all year that I don't think the defense will be a whole lot better than last year and I still don't.

• High Five High Five x 1
  7. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Few players come into the league being the best player they'll ever be. The Titans, last season, was a young team with a big group of players who have upside and a few glaring holes which were upgraded.

I was on board saying that many of the players were simply not very good last season. Maybe it's talent. Maybe its inexperience. That doesn't mean that they can't or won't be much better and a few emerge as impact players.

I think Morgan was solid late last season. But, like many of the others, he has to take it up a notch and show more consistency in order to have opponents scheme to stop him. Ayers is possibly a monster and there's no reason to think he'll not improve and become an impact player.

Griffin has disappointed the last few years but the Titans haven't had much at SS to allow him to do what he was successful doing his first couple of seasons in the league. Pollard needs to be an in-the-box hit machine. The Titans haven't had that since Bishop, IMO.

Again, you are talking about two players who should be entering their prime. Both have upside and should get better. Are either Revis? Nope. Few are.

It's waaaaay too early to know what impact Pollard will have, how much the young guys will improve and how Gregg Williams changes things. Imagine the impact of having the defense not on the field 40 minutes a game will have?

IMO, everything points to a much improved Titans defense in '13. It only takes one or two guys to take their game to the next level to positively impact the entire defense.

8. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

I just can't get behind a guy like Pollard to make a significant difference. We're his fourth team in an eight-year career. The guy is a stopgap player. Is he better than Babs? Probably in the box, but he still can't cover and he gets a boatload of penalties.

9. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Griffin both sucks and blows.

• High Five High Five x 3
  10. Aqutis30

Aqutis30 Do you mind - NOT being a Motaur?

Well the main thing is that it's the 1st preseason game, and the coaches aren't game planning against the other team as much as they are planning to observe how our team does in certain scenarios and getting them acclimated against real competition in a real game. Around the 3rd and 4th pre-season game you will see them planning a bit more to start getting used to the new (not base) stuff.

Example: Last night the defense played the base (4-3) 2 deep zone almost the whole game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar