Tool vs The Tragically Hip CLOSED

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by CRUDS, Feb 23, 2016.

?

BAND WARS RD1: Tool vs The Tragically Hip

Poll closed Jan 23, 2018.
  1. Tool

60.0%
  2. Tragically Hip

40.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

For those who don't know, the Hip was Canada's top rock band for well over a decade...despite the success of their stateside hit "New Orleans Is Sinking" thry just didn't catch on in the US. Lyrically brilliant, it's rock with a midwestern feel and an eccentric front man..sorta like very early Train with balls and fronted by Micheal Stipe's evil twin brother.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. avvie

Yes...was trying to remember that one. Lyrically it's a trip...sounds like a letter set to music.

3. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

50 Mission Cap. Has been overplayed over the years but I still love it. About a creepy sports story.

The last goal Bill Barilko scored won the Maple Leafs the Stanley Cup. He died that summer in a plane crash. They didn't win another cup until immediately after his body was found.

4. The Hammer

Back in the 90s it was funny when big US and/or UK bands would come to Canada and play a music festival with the Hip. It would weird them out that this band they had never heard of got a bigger crowd reception than everyone else put together.

5. avvie

True story: second band I played in had a Hip fan in it...I'd never heard them but I wrote my own bass lines over "She Didn't Know" and "When The Weight Comes Down".
    One day the Hip came to Ziggy's in Winston-Salem. I was hanging out in a music store chatting with a friend and in walks this tall, staggeringly voluptuous brunette asking if she can hang a Hip promo poster. She asked if we knew of them; friend said no but I was all like "YEAH! My band plays their material!" She asked if I heard their new album?..no?...here, have the CD!...and she gave me a copy of Fully, Completely. That was a great introduction album, and I've been Hip ever since.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  6. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

The alphabet gods have spoken

7. avvie

Another great lyric..because how does anyone set THIS to music?! :

"Bill Barilko disappeared that summer. He was on a fishing trip. The last goal he ever scored won the Leafs the Cup. The didn't win another till 1962- the year he was discovered. I stole this from a hockey card I keep tucked up under my fifty mission cap; I worked it in to look like that."

8. The Hammer

Damn that is pretty early on. I believe that was their third album and what many consider their best.

A strange song of theirs
    Also one of the few songs where it is easy to figure out. Most of the lyrics in their songs were rather abstract which may have hurt them with American 90s music fans who wanted to find deep meaning in every song.

9. avvie

My office bulletin board: 20160223_134211.jpg

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. The Hammer

Hey, Gordon Lightfoot once put a Newsweek article to music.

• LOL LOL x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar