Tool vs The Tragically Hip CLOSED

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by CRUDS, Feb 23, 2016.

?

BAND WARS RD1: Tool vs The Tragically Hip

Poll closed Jan 23, 2018.
  1. Tool

60.0%
  2. Tragically Hip

40.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

True about the Americans having trouble relating to them...lots of lyrics referencing Canadian criminal cases, politics and culture. "Yawning or Snarling"'s reference to El Paso is not enough to endear the Hip to Texans.

2. avvie

Yeah, but it at least rhymed and had a meter...other than that it was also a plaigerism of an Irish dirge.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. avvie

Allow me to gush on Paul Langlois and bassist Gord Sinclair for a moment:
    Singer Gordon Downie has a limited range..no biggie; most singers do. Given that, though, it can be tough for rhythm musicians to continue creating interesting soundscapes within a narrow selection of chords. Langlois and Sinclair have done a masterful job of it ever since 1988. This is pretty rare.

4. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

That song is far from Lightfoot's best but might be his most famous.

And the Tragically Hip have the best music to chill out to up at a cottage on a lake in the summertime.

5. avvie

I found Fully, Completely to be an excellent album for auto mechanics.

6. The Hammer

The lack of popularity stateside perplexed Canadian fans of the Hip. Other Canadian acts like the Barenaked Ladies and the horrid Alanis Morrisette were popular. How could Americans like them but not the Hip.

Barenaked Ladies were cool though, even of you do not like their music. One of the few 90s bands to have a huge following long before the release of their first album. Their first video was an excellent cover of an old Bruce Cockburn song.

And this might be the most popular song of the 90s that never had a video.

7. avvie

When I first heard "The Old Apartment" I thought Pete Townshend had released a new solo album.
    Ftr, I like Alannis (second album SUUUUCKS but third is excellent) and BNL are NOT BNL if Stephen Page isn't there.

8. The Hammer

I am not a big BnL fan but I do respect them. Have to respect a band who can work the lyrics "I just made you say underwear" into a song -- Pinch Me.

I actually tended to be a bigger fan of the songs Ed Robinson took the lead on.

Not a big fan of "Old Apartment" but I think that was their big US breakout song. I tend to be a bigger fan of some of their silly songsblike "Be My Yoko Ono"

9. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

Last chance for Hip fans..

10. avvie

We put up a damn good fight!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar