Torry Holt has requested to be released by the Rams.

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by jessestylex, Mar 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

You know, the thing with Holt, even though his yardage dropped, his ypc has only decreased slightly over the years. He's still over 12 ypc. I would much rather Holt than TJ, who is working in that 9-10 yards range, which makes me think TEs and Moulds.

I'm going to keep saying this until someone catches on: Titans put $7M in Justin Gage's pocket last year. Seven million. That's 100 yards per million, roughly.

I don't think the Titans are afraid to pay someone. Yes, hopefully Holt would cost a little less, but the Titans were going to trade for him, which means if they had him now, they would be on the hook for his $6.65M salary and $1.25M roster bonus, and that means at one point at least the Titans were willing to pay nearly $8M/year for Holt. Don't be surprised if they pony up.

2. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I take Holt in a heartbeat. I think he has a lot more left in-the-tank than any of the WR vets the Titans have signed in recent years. He's a huge upgrade over McCareins. He mentors the young guys. I think the chemistry between him and Collins would develop quickly.

The thought of spreading out defenses with Gage, Washington and Holt and opening up more space for CJ would be niiiiiiiiiiice.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

People are forgetting that we have gotten into the mix for several vet WRs over the last couple of years, it's just many of them had too many drawbacks - too expensive (either money or draft picks), or too old, or they went with another offer. And this is the time the Titans have historically been very active in FA - players that teams didn't want to let go but are forced to...

Holt has the most upside of any that we've talked to in the last year or 2 (Moulds, Stallworth, Keyshawn, Washington, Henderson, etc...). We wanted him last year, but the trade terms weren't right and we had tons of our own FAs to sign long term. Now there aren't as many looming cap issues, AH freed some money, and I think they still want Holt. We may not land him, but I'd be surprised if we weren't in the mix. I'd love to see it. Gage, Washington and Holt is a darn good group.

4. KamikaZ

KamikaZ Ex-Hall of Famer

Believe it or not, I'm actually all about going after Holt. I've always liked him as a player, and even at 32, I think he has plenty left in the tank. The fact that he can't run block well is worrisome, but I think having him a mentor for players like Washington, Hawkins, etc could be valuable. While not a field stretcher, he still seems to have above average speed, good hands, good route-running. I say, offer him a contract.

5. poison? i dont even have time to make you look stupid

6. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

I'm actually not so concerned about his run blocking. I'd rather a receiver with his route skills and hands who can't block than a receiver who can't get open or catch but can break CJ for a big one. Johnson can make people miss on his own, and the attention Holt would get would open up plenty of space for CJ to work, which is something he doesn't have now. Holt should have at least another 3 years in him, and he'd fit right in with our locker room.

7. psychotictitan

psychotictitan Its About That Time...

Looks like the Titans are gonna try and make a run at Holt if he gets released. If they can pull the trigger and sign him you could be looking at a top ten offense easily come Sept. Holt,Nate,Gage, Scaife at TE and CJ in the backfield could be a nightmare for opposing defensive cordinators

http://blog.theredzone.org/ViewItem.asp?Entry=400

:wave: Jmac

8. nate42104

nate42104 Camp Fodder

I think TO and his 6.5M (4m guaranteed from my understanding) contract has helped all teams in the market for one of the remaining FA's.

I hope we can land Holt, and now it appears if we do it will be at a bargain. Hopefully around 2/3 or so of TO's contract size in a 3-4 year deal.

9. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

I think we will go after Holt or Moore.

10. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Huh?

Why would we get Holt for 2/3 of TO's contract? He'll be looking for 6mil at LEAST. Remember, he'll be going to a run first (and second) team which will knock down his production. Secondly, he's already scheduled to make 6+mil a year for the next 2 years. Why would he ask for his release to take a 2mil paycut???

Plus, he's a few years YOUNGER than TO and Laveranues Coles got 7mil. Put it this way, if you were Holt, would you go to the Titans run run pass offense for 7mil a year or the Colts pass happy offense (and they won the SB a couple of years ago) for 4mil a year? There is a lot of speculation in New York that the Jets and Giants would be interested in Holt. I think he'll get AT LEAST 6mil....if there is THAT much interest.

Gut

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar