Torry Holt...the good, the bad, and the interesting!

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Gut, Mar 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I think it's about the Benjamins. No doubt he's on the backside of his career but he'd be a good addition if he'd take the kind of deal Kearse did.

Problem is, I doubt he'd come to Tennessee for $3-$4 mil a year. He's looking for one last payday. I'm guessing he also wants to go to a more pass-oriented team as well.

2. psychotictitan

psychotictitan Its About That Time...

After Gage and Washington theres really no expirence left at the WR position. I'm not totally convinced Hawkins is just going to turn it on in one off season,i hope he does but i'm not going to hold my breath over it. Jmac, i dont even need to go there but then you have Chris Davis and Paul Williams. It just makes sense to bring a guy like Holt in to provide depth,leadership,play making ability and someone who knows what it takes to win a SB.

3. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Yes...

Good point...but Holt did have a big year in 2007 with NO help and his numbers weren't bad last year for a team with little offense. They're better than any WR we have...

Gut

4. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Sox...

First, they TRIED to trade him. Second, they are in full rebuilding mode. So why keep a 30 something WR for a 10mil cap hit when he's not gonna help you win much next season since the rest of the team needs re-tooling? Did we keep Mason during the purge? He not had years left, he's still one of the better WR's in the NFL.

Because why give up a pick for a guy you know is gonna be released? Second, there aren't a ton of teams that need him...perhaps just a handful and some of them may be figuring they'll get a WR in this draft so they'll play a wait and see approach. Ray Lewis is one of the top MLB's in the game. How come no one made a big push for him? Does it mean he's washed up? No, but he'll probably be more successful staying within his current system where you get full value out of his on field and off field leadership. Like Holt, Ray Ray probably has another 2 years in him.

From what I've read, it's more that Pace and Holt re done with the Rams. The losing and losing has been a drain on them. They went there and immediately entered a very successful atmosphere which has been replaced by losing year in and year out. It is why both players wanted out. They didn't want to finish there careers in rebuilding mode. Plus, if a WR like Coles can get a raise to 7mil, how is Holt only worth 3-4. I think the Titans will make every attempt to low ball him thinking they will try to get him as cheaply as possible, but I think if they do that, he's likely to go someplace he wants to go to...like Indy. Of course, if a pass happy team doesn't want him, then you could have the Jets and Titans both courting him. He's one year removed from a 1000yd season and even on a dreadful offense had much better numbers than our WR's so he's gotta be worth a good chunk more than Gage. If you sign Holt for 2 years or 3 years, you build some nice competition into the position and could still even draft a WR at the bottom of round 1 or 2.

Gut

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar