Tough decisions... FF to the Offseason

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by PitBull, Oct 11, 2008.

?
  1. PitBull for GM! PitBull for GM!

4 vote(s)
    36.4%
  2. PitBull NOT for GM.

7 vote(s)
    63.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PitBull

PitBull Bred to Brawl

I've been giving this lots of thought lately, and many fans won't like this thread, but sometimes sacrafices must be made for the overall wellbeing of the team.

We've made tougher decisions in the past and we've turned out fine. Fact is that we're going to have a long offseason next year because we're overpaying a some players who we can proabably survive without.

Before you continue reading.. ask yourselves the following two questions:

1) Can we survive without Haynesworth?
    2) Can we survive without Bulluck?

We've all seen first hand that we can't survive without Big Al.. and without him we turn into a below average DL.

Maybe its time we let Bulluck go. He'll be a free agent in 2010, and I really doubt that we'll renew his contract then, so why not go ahead and trade him away in the offseason for a 3rd or 4th and use whatever we save from him to remain on the safe side in terms of our salary cap. We can then also afford to sign Big Al to a long term contract... plus have a little room to do other things.

Besides, with Bulluck in a decline, Thornton is now our quickest linebacker to the ball and should step in nicely to assist Tulluch take Bulluck's place. Plus I really doubt our defense will fall apart without Bulluck..

I'd hate to see Bulluck leave, but difficult decisions MUST be made to ensure we remain competitive throughout the years. I hated to see McNair leave, but now I'm glad we did. And as we stand at this moment.. VY and Bulluck appear to be the two players we can afford to let go without really losing very much.

... yes.. you read that correctly.. I threw "VY" in there..
    really folks.. something must be done. Which moves me on two point 2..

Vince Young will single handedly kill us if we continue to pay him as a pro when he's nothing but.. Maybe we take advantage of his current situation and try to renegotiate something with him.

If i was MR, I'd call him in my office.. turn off my mobile.. lean back on my chair, unloosen my tie.. look up at him and say:

MR: "Listen.. we thought you'd be what Michael Jordon was for the Bulls, but instead you turned out to be a Pippen.. and thats an overstatement. The problem is that we gave you Michael Jordon's salary.. when we should have given you Pippen's. As we stand know, you've got two options..

Option 1) Accept a salary cut between 30%-40%, and work your way as a starter.. and if you turn out to be what we initially thought you were, we can look into discussing your salary again next season, or maximum the season after that.

Option 2) Cut you, and there's the possibility that the team that signs you will probably utilize you as a backup with a backup salary.

you don't want to be another Volek, now do you son?

VY: No sir..

MR: then sign here..

VY: Yes Sir..

The End..

With those two moves, we can afford to sign Roy Williams, and use our first round pick to draft a QB.. (or if needed trade our 1st of 2009, and our 1st and 3rd of 2010 to move down 10-15 spots) and get our hands on a premium QB..

We can then also afford to keep everyone on defense, and keep our O-Line intact... and do holla hoop in our living rooms while watching our Titans continue to make the playoffs for the next 3-4 years.. :jumpropeb

• High Five High Five x 4
  2. titan_fan_4ever

titan_fan_4ever Titans Rule

bulluck is the leader....he has more value than u know......i actually for one like the way he handled finny...n dont u forget it was his team meeting that brought this team together way back when (when we were the exact opp of this @ 0-5), helped it become what it was today, n he did play good when he needed to (against ravens he was sideline to sideline) hes effort...n no doubt the FACE of our D.....i've seen D w/o identity ...n its not pretty....

hes not done yet....even teh great r.lewis had a dip in his play couple yrs back n hes on fire now...i can c bulluck doin this easly...hes 31 now....which i think he will continue to play at high end. he wont be as expensive as u think to resign...credentials matter n the fact he has been snubbed from so many rewards (easily several probowls, possibly 2 allpros) i think he can be resinged for not that much

dont forget, 1 we have cap room, 2 it only goes up from here, 3 we r already paying albe 7+M ...it doesnt get much more than that per year..so the hit is as it is...n we stil hv lota room for the bull n some new WRs

3. Slackmaster

Slackmaster Starter

4. vslyke

vslyke In Dinger We Trust

I like the idea of renegoitaiating VY's contract. However, we would not be able to do it unless we do it in the following way. Leave this year and the next year alone. They are fine. However, for the next 2 years (matter of fact, make it the next 5) give him a small base salary and massive incentives. For example, $5 mil for an 85 passer rating (with 100 passes), a mil for every 10 TDs (passing and rushing), and a mil for every 1500 total yards. That way a year with a 85 rating, 25 TDs, and 4500 total yards would get VY $10.5 mil plus the base salary (a mil?). Maybe it would need some tweaking, but it's a good start. That way, we are covered if VY never becomes a good QB, and VY is covered if he blows up.

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

Ravens defense has been solid since 2000 and the only guy still there from that year is Ray Lewis.

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. utdtitans

utdtitans Camp Fodder

It'd be great if we could re-negotiate vy's contract but it is virtually impossible. First of all has there ever been a qb with an incentive based contract? If you guys think that no one would pay vy starter money then you're nuts. He is a huge project but has probably the greatest potential of any 25 year old qb in the league right now. If the titans want to re-negotiate his contract then vince will say you can cut me then. The guy's not struggling for money, he still has got his guaranteed money plus his roughly 15 million a year from endorsements.

7. LetsGoTitans24

LetsGoTitans24 Camp Fodder

Brady Quinn has a incentive contract, which sucks for him since he is riding the pine right now. Money aside if Vince doesn't show he has rebounded mentally from whatever ailments have effected him you can't quit on your team and expect them to want to follow you into the fire. I think we should just let him sit this year and pending a eval next off season if he is doing better let him compete for it or trade him if he is still showing he wants to quit every time something doesn't go perfect.

8. vslyke

vslyke In Dinger We Trust

Not for long he is.

We'll see how he does. I still hope he'll be back this year, but I seem to be in the minority on here and in the greater fan base.

9. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

i've got to agree with pitbull on this one.

thornton is our best linebacker and was last year too. he doesn't have bulluck's flash or play making skills, but as an overall linebacker, he's our best one. i also think by year's end tulloch could be even with bulluck.

the problem with letting keith go is we don't have a replacement on the roster right now. i don't think tulloch can play in space the way we need to him to. a guy i really like is marcus freeman, and i don't think he would be a reach late in the first round.

10. onetontitan

onetontitan Marioto

I've been thinking for a while that we need to take steps to replace the defensive veterans on the team. Bulluck is the main one. Early first round, lets pick up Marcus Freeman, we need good, first round talent that can contribute. Also, I agree, something needs to be done about VY's contract.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar