Trading Mettenberger

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by 2ToneBlueBlood, Aug 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2ToneBlueBlood

2ToneBlueBlood Pro Bowler

This morning on 104.5 The Zone, they mentioned something I hadn’t thought of. What if Mettenberger has a great pre-season and a QB needy team contacts the Titans and is interested in a trade? Would the Titans do it? What would be the asking price? What could they get?

If a team like Buffalo, who isn’t happy with the guys they have, or NYJ with Geno being out (even though they have Fitz and Petty), would they pull the trigger on the deal?

I don’t think this is a terrible idea. We have Mariota now and even if Mett played out his contract with us, he’d be unlikely to resign to be a backup. He would probably want to go somewhere with a chance to compete for a starting job. So if he goes out there and balls out during the preseason, his value may never be higher (even though he's still 0-6, which may hurt negotiations).

Thoughts?

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. Mitch86

Mitch86 Pro Bowler

I'd like to see Mett get a chance to be a starter. Obvioisly, that's not happening here with Mariota hype at full steam.

That being said, at this point...it would take a crazy offer for the Titans to trade him. His value with the Titans right now is an upside backup QB insurance policy.

If someone offered a 2nd (they wont), take a chance and let him go. Other than that, you have a quality backup which is pretty important when you have a mobile rookie qb starting.

• High Five High Five x 3
  3. Thaddeus43

Thaddeus43 Sunshiner President

Everyone is for sale for the right price .... except for Mariota probably.

I would be for trading Mett. He really doesn't offer the Titans much. If he has to come in and play during the reg season, then we are probably already screwed anyway. If we can get a 3rd out of him then I would be happy.

4. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

First off, how did you not think about this before? @520 has been pounding that drum for a while now.

Secondly, its preseason, as good as he's looked at this time before, it'll be vs backups mostly, I cant imagine a team blowing their wad for Mett over a good preseason.

The other thing to look at is you need a decent backup at this day in age, so with that said I say we keep him. Whats the most he'd fetch? 4th rounder? I would rather have the security of knowing there's something in the way of Clipboard Jesus getting snaps should Mariota miss time...

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 4
    • High Five High Five x 2
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  5. 520

520 2020 GOAT CHAMP from 3-7 to champ

Wait a second Mitch...that's exactly what I said and you were making funny of me telling me to come back to earth

Anyways I wouldn't trade him for less than a second this year. He's worth more as a back up, him being the best young qb who doesn't have a starting job now. Let mariota prove he can go 16 games.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 4
    • High Five High Five x 1
    • Boring Boring x 1
    • Bullsh*t Bullsh*t x 1
  6. GOFIGURETITANS

GOFIGURETITANS Pro Bowler

Mett will probably play out his contract, primarily, I think, because we won't let him go. We have this position more solid than its been in years. We can concentrate of other areas. Why would we trade him and then have to worry if MM goes down? As it stands, mett is serviceable.

I don't see him being traded. If he doesn't get to play, I don't see him signing a second contract either.

7. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

You mean re-sign with us? Cause I totally expect he'll be stuck here til his time is up and then move on to another team with QB needs..

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  8. Mitch86

Mitch86 Pro Bowler

I said IF he could be traded for a second, let him go. I said all along that no one will offer much more than where we drafted him and that's just not worth it.

I put his max value at a 4th before. I don't believe anyone will offer that and I'd still hope they would pass it up as his value as a backup is worth more than a 4th IMO.

9. 520

520 2020 GOAT CHAMP from 3-7 to champ

Again..exactly what I was saying. I said it'd take a 2 for me to move him and bsaid I know no one would offer that.

• Boring Boring x 1
    • Unreadable Unreadable x 1
  10. Thaddeus43

Thaddeus43 Sunshiner President

If MM goes down we can either have Mett lead us to an 0-6 record, or CBJ lead us to an 0-6 record ... its all the same to me.

I say trade him and turn that pick into a defender or OL or something more useful than a guy that sits on the bench.

• Bullsh*t Bullsh*t x 2
    • Pigeon Bomb Pigeon Bomb x 1
    • LOL LOL x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar