TRAINING CAMP BATTLE - 12c - Slot WR

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Carpy, Jul 13, 2007.

?

Slot WR in our starting 3-WR sets

Poll closed Jul 15, 2007.
  1. Courtney Roby

15.8%
  2. Roydell Williams

36.8%
  3. Jonathon Orr

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Chris Davis

42.1%
  5. Joel Filani

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Paul Williams

5.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Our GM was on 104.5 with John McClain and he said the Titans would be looking to add a veteran WR at some point. If that is so we should conclude a couple of points:
    1. apparently they are not overwhelmed with Gage and the other guys so far
    2. we are going to be cutting at least one more WR
    3. the probablilty of a trade or two just went up
    IMO that isn't good news for a couple of reasons. Obviously it demonstrates a complete lack of confidence in our 3rd year guys and Gage (after all they should be considered vets by now) but exactly what big upgrade does our GM expect? With teams having plenty of CAP space it is doubtful we will see quality vets being cut loose like we have seen in the past.

2. deeluxx3

deeluxx3 Camp Fodder

Because the similarities between Gage and Wade are just rediculously close. If Gage starts, then that really shows how much our WRs suck. And if you guys really like Gage SHOULD start, well that makes me question a lot of things.

3. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

We haven't had great receivers for years now, so what's the big deal if we have a mediocre receiver starting? Nothing new.

4. deeluxx3

deeluxx3 Camp Fodder

No its not, but Gage is worse than mediocre. He was buried on the depth chart for the CHICAGO BEARS! Not exactly a team with amazing talent at WR.

5. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

True Gage and Wade both played in Chicago and both were not solid enough to stay there but that is where the similarities end. Wade is a smaller quick WR and Gage is a tall more physical WR with leaping ability. Wade is more suited to the slot while Gage is more suited to playing the outside unless we are near the goal line. Wade returns punts and Gage doesn't.

I do agree however that if Gage starts our other guys suck because IMO Gage isn't half the WR Bennett was.

6. Carpy

Carpy Disgruntled foreign veteran

I agree that they are polar opposites in playing style, but I don't think you can call Gage a physical receiver. The guy is flat-out soft. Think Todd Pinkston.

http://www.sportspickle.com/features/volume4/2004-1229-pinkston.html

7. deeluxx3

deeluxx3 Camp Fodder

I was being sarcastic when I said that they were close.

8. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Not exactly a team with an amazingly consistent quarterback, either. Gage and Grossman came into the league the same year. Grossman's injuries and slowed development, plus the incongruence at the quarterback position over the last four years, give Gage an understandable reason for not living up to potential so far. At least for one year.

9. deeluxx3

deeluxx3 Camp Fodder

I dont see how the QB not being consistent kept Gage on the bench. When Rex played well last year, Gage still didnt play. Its irrelevant if you ask me.

10. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Just that he hasn't been able to establish chemistry with anyone. It's clear he and Grossman and Griese and Orton suck together. What's not clear yet is whether he and Young suck together. It takes two, and I'm not willing to use the Bears QBs as the measuring stick for the rest of the league.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar