Training Camp Battle #5 - #2 Dt

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Carpy, Jun 27, 2007.

?
  1. Randy Starks

51.5%
  2. Tony Brown

24.2%
  3. Antonion Johnson

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Rien Long

18.2%
  5. Jesse Mahelona

6.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fitantitans

fitantitans This space For Rent

I picked Long. But if Long can't get his mojo back because of his foot, I predict one helluva battle between Starks and Brown. I do like our depth at this position.

2. Carpy

Carpy Disgruntled foreign veteran

I am really surprised that Starks and Troupe aren't clear-cut winners at their positions. I nearly didn't do a poll on these positions thinking it wouldn't even be close.

I think it reflects that us Titans fans are sick of guys with potential who aren't performing. Let's go with the guys who bust a gut and get the results.

3. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Starks all the way..

He has always been ahead of those other guys on the depth chart so what would change now? Mahelona was just a replacment for clauss at the 4 spot and brown came in as a utility guy. Long has never started and is coming off the injury.

4. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

I would have gone with Starks if it weren't for the comments Washburn made about Long... he pretty much raved about him and said he had learned more from Long than he had taught him. Called him the best pass rusher on the team. To me, that says if Long can get back and is healthy he could be challenging Haynesworth as the top DT.

5. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Yes, Long is a very good pass rushing DT. Long is also considered a liability against the run. I don't see anyway Long is a starter at DT, his role will be as a pass rush guy and he will get alot of reps but not as the starter. Also, he may not be 100% at the start of the season. He may be teaming with Mahelona on passing plays.

Antonion Johnson is a guy who I feel could push for the #2 job later on in the season if Starks isn't doing well. I'm sure if Haynesworth or Starks starts to fall off in their production we will see the younger guys like Mahelona and Johnson getting much more playing time as the Titans look to the future.

6. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

Washburn's comments

Don't be fooled by coach speek. If Long was the best pass rusher on the team, he would be starting at DE.

7. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

not really. i'd say warren sapp was the best pass rusher on the bucs for his first 6 or 7 years. same with la'roi glover when he was with the saints.

8. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

At this point, I would expect Starks to start with Haynesworth and Long to be on the field in passing situations.

9. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

I don't think so - the game has been changing the last several years, and (especially in our division with Peyton) you need to have an inside pass from your DTs or the chances are you're not going to get to the QB very often. And this isn't typical coach speak - coaches rarely single out a player for praise in the media... they usually just get the "he needs to continue to improve" or "that's what we brought him here to do". Coach speak tends to be the kind of vague notions of warm fuzzies. My only questions about Long are his health at the start of the season, and his discipline with the run. It can take a couple of years for a DT to learn the discipline to be able to contain the run while getting pressure on the passer. Long is about at that point where he should be putting it all together. We'll see.

10. For what it's worth, they play in a rotation so the "starter" isn't really a big deal. I'd expect Starks to play more on more likely running downs, therefore he'd play on 1st downs. That would make him the starter. Long or Mahelona would replace him on passing downs.

That's just my take.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar