Training Camp Battle #5 - #2 Dt

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Carpy, Jun 27, 2007.

?
  1. Randy Starks

51.5%
  2. Tony Brown

24.2%
  3. Antonion Johnson

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Rien Long

18.2%
  5. Jesse Mahelona

6.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PAtitansfan53

PAtitansfan53 Kush & OJ

Do you know what a torn achillies tendon does to a guy whos strength is pass rushing. He's not very good to begin with will be cut.

DT-Albert Haynesworth
    DT-Randy Starks

Then Tony Brown, Mahelona, and Johnson will add to the rotation.

2. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

I gotta disagree.

3. Bobo

Bobo Guest

He wasn't always ahead of Brown when Brown started ahead of him. I think Brown played just as good as Starks last year, so he could get more reps and starts.

Like SK said, lots of rotation there, so the starter title doesn't mean as much.

4. Carpy

Carpy Disgruntled foreign veteran

Looks like Starks is our winner. Who lines up next to him? (see next poll)

5. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Its likely going to be Starks. I'd like to point out that what is the toss up is whether or not we keep all 6 DTs. We know the line is a priority and we also did not add any free agents at the position. Therefore, unless we do, it's possible we keep all 10. IIRC, Brown and Long have been listed at times as DT/DE. Depending on how well Jacob Ford performs (and I don't think he'd be cut), Brown or Long could be kicked outside. I should like to point out to those to whom it might not be obvious or known, pass rushing DTs tend to play on third down.

Coaches used to say Long was the best pass rushing DT, but that was before the injury, and still it was a lot of coach speak, because what it amounted to a lot of the time was Long "putting pressure" on QBs running a bootleg, and the protection was busy picking up the more immediate assignments. He made his plays occasionally, and he was showing improvement, and if he played last year he might really have come on this year, but we'll just have to wait and see how much strength he has on it, and how used he can get to practicing and playing.

Most guys will be used situationally anyway. Brown plays well at times, and has been a really good pickup. I think most of us have been pleasantly surprised. I doubt he's ready to be a starter for a season, but he could be on his way.

But basically everyone not named "Haynesworth" or "Starks" has to at least prove they can perform better than Starks. There's just no telling what the rest of the guys will do. And there's no telling if enough people will perform well enough to warrant cutting at least one D-lineman, most likely a DT, and if so, who that will be, or will they see need to keep 4 DEs, 4 or 5 DTs and swing player or two.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar