Training Camp Battle #8 - #1 Cb

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Carpy, Jul 1, 2007.

?
  1. Reynaldo Hill

7.3%
  2. Kelly Herndon

4.9%
  3. Nick Harper

73.2%
  4. Cortland Finnegan

4.9%
  5. Michael Griffin

4.9%
  6. Ryan Smith

2.4%
  7. Andre Woolfolk

2.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LT21Titans27

LT21Titans27 Tebow Apostle

Finally, sum 1 with some knowledge on this forum

2. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

More than likely we will be playing more zone so trying to decide who is #1 or #2 isn't relevant. Like Rolltide said anyway, we really don't have a "shut-down" CB (another reason to play zone). IMO if Griffin stays at CB through the pre-season and does well he will be the starter with Harper. I'm really not sure where Herndon fits in at this point. I'm saying this because I'm warping my mind to try and match Fisher and predict what he will do.

My preference would be Griffin starts at S, Finnegan, Hill, and Herndon fight it out for a CB spot with the loser, Herndon or Finnegan playing NB. Hill should be riding the pine IMO until he proves he can play the ball better and he isn't a great run supporter. He isn't as good of a fit for a Cover 2 defense where Finnegan and Herndon are.

3. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I don't see any way Harper doesn't start and they have to get Griffin on the field somewhere. Until they move him from CB, that means he's the #2.

4. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Better to have several #2 guys..

Like WR i'm not sure it matters a hill of pinto beans who is the so called designated #1. I think you want to be able to matchup well in 3 and 4 WR sets and that means having several capable guys. It would help to have a bigger guy, 6 foot+ which is why they probably are trying griffin there. I remember when we used to play the steelers when it was dyson covering their best WR(ward) with help at times and samari covered burress. It was purely a matchup issue because you would have had to be nuts putting a 5'10 guy on burress.

If there is any hope for woolfolk it might be to use him against larger slot guys but he wasn't used last year that way despite how small our corners were. When we play atlanta griffin or woolfolk might be the guys who will be covering crumpler. We better darn game plan for him not just vick's running..

5. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

True - I buy into the notion that the top 5 on your roster win games for you, but the bottom 5 can lose them for you. We often are able to shut down guys like Vick and Harrison, but get burned by Crumpler and Dallas Clark. It's a shame if your #1 pick is 3rd or 4th on the chart, but if he can contribute in the slot then you have to suck it up, I think.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar