Travis Henry tests positive ... again

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Puck, Jul 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

Gunny, you miss the whole point. ITS ILLEGAL HERE IN THE STATES, so that makes it WRONG. If it's legal in the Netherlands, there's nothing wrong with it, but we're not dutch and the Dutch don't have as big of an unEducated society reaping the Reefer like the Southeastern US. So EF off with your Australian Diplomacy, we as a country are falling ill to society that feels compelled to bring up other countries laws when we can't follow our own. Come take a trip with me Bro and I'll take you to some places you don't wanna see, then you'll think of America as trash pit. Don't preach rules and laws when you live five thousand miles away and don't understand the culture you think you do, that's just ignorant. I don't act like I know about Australia because I've read books and magazines and studied international business in school, so do me a favor and don't patronize me either Dundee.

2. Slackmaster

Slackmaster Starter

There is a huge difference between something wrong and something being illegal.

For example, if we repealed laws against molesting children, would that make it right? It would no longer be illegal, so it must be okay.

In ancient Greece, pedophilia was legal, and when Plenides dared to suggest that maybe it was morally wrong, they killed him on the spot, in Senate.

Morally right or wrong, and legal/illegal are different categories.

Yes, cannabis is illegal. So are many other behaviors. Should the NFL investigate them? Or should that be left to the police, and only done when there is reasonable suspicion?

We don't let the NFL write traffic citations, or scan our hard drives for copyright infringing files.

Here is another hypothetical; it is illegal (and thus, WRONG) to record an NFL game without express written consent of the league. Obviously, the NFL has a right and motivation to protect their brand and their entertainment property. Should we allow them to invade the viewer's privacy to check, without prior reason to suspect, against potential breaches of the law?

The NFL are not cops, so of course we draw the line, and keep them out of our living rooms, and out of our DVRs.

But those of you who say "it is illegal and therefore wrong" need to make sure that you never put any pro sport game on a DVR without getting that elusive written consent.

Or take the easy way out, and rethink your position on privacy, and how it should be protected, even when it shields unpopular and illegal behavior.

3. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

I disagree, I think this is a great thing for a young kid who wants to be a professional athlete, that the NFL as are most legitimate Businesses are serious that they will not tolerate ANY illegal substance wether you be Pro-Weed or not. You have to address problems or they just continue to get bigger. This is a terrific example of someone who would not conform to societys and company rules, and because that, gave up millions of dollars and potentially their career. This is Michael Vick all over again, if you break the law, you will be punished and will not be tolerated. Every kid needs to see this, or else they keep seeing people go without punishment and thinking everything is fine when it really isn't.

Oh, and the Dutch, very proud to say that their greatest gift to the world has been the Red Light District in Amsterdam. Sounds a lot like New Orleans, great place to have a good time, terrible place to raise a family.

4. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Oh I know, because before that awful evil maryjane came around, everything in America was a beautiful utopia society.

To paraphrase Ice Cube.... Compton used to be a nature preserve for bunny rabbits! That was before gangsta rap and weed came along to ruin it.

I think you completely missed gunny's point. Something being illegal does not equal it being immoral. Not in all situations.

I absolutely love it when people look at the downfall of values in society and think they can blame one thing for all of it. It's comical.

5. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Prohibition really worked well for the US. I mean, there were never alcohol problems during prohibition. :rolleyes:

6. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

Please don't ever go off another tangent relating Drug Abuse and Molestation to that of Copyright infringement. You are only adding to the problem by dismissing it for a more miniscule conversation. If you honestly think it's ok for one of the most profitable, well known business(The NFL) to not care about their image and police their business so that their brand doesn't send out the wrong message to millions of households, that's just bad business.

7. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

no, you just have to find the Common Denominators; Low income, high welfare, poor or no education, and drug abuse.

You point out any part of the US that is declining and I will pull out these factors, maybe a couple more if you really want them. The point is these are all inter-related, not just some white dude who likes to toke up on the weekend in his beachhouse in the Hamptons.

8. Slackmaster

Slackmaster Starter

How dare you try to put words in my post which I don't type.

At this point, I have to wonder if you even understand what is being discussed, and just reply "Weed bad, everyone else shut up now!"

No one is suggesting that the NFL can't protect their brand.

In fact, I was putting forward the example that they would be protecting their brand by enforcing existing copyright laws but would inevitably invade people's privacy in doing so.

This isn't a tangent, but rather, it is the essence of the argument; Can the NFL act as a police agency, and violate the privacy of players and viewers in the pursuit of protecting its image and property?

You advocate testing for recreational drugs that do not impact competitive play, on the basis of "it is illegal and therefore bad."

On that same basis, I put forward that recording the game without express written consent is also illegal, and in your value system, automatically bad.
    Since in your value system, the league is entitled to protect its image, brand, and intellectual property. So what woould then be wrong with them invading our privacy to make sure we are in compliance?

The only thing that stops them from doing this is our privacy rights, and a willingness to vigorously hold on to them.

While you might sign away some rights to get a job, or play in the NFL, that does not automatically mean that every invasion of privacy for what someone, or specifically someone in the NFL in this case, thinks is a good or justified idea.

If you want to just say you disagree, I am fine with that.
    If you have a cogent point to make that argues against it, I am fine with that.

But your "Please don't ever go off another tangent" is beyond rude.
    It isn't a "tangent" just because can't rebut it.

9. Carpy

Carpy Disgruntled foreign veteran

Have you ever lived in a Country other than the USA?

10. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Wrong? Wrong is only a matter of perception. Regardless because it is illegal, it does not make it morally wrong.

So in your view, right and wrong only applies to legality? It's perfectly fine for laws in the Middle East to stone a woman to death because it is legal, therefore 'nothing wrong with it'?

Sorry but I am not preaching anything. I am putting across a point of view that is relevant in Australia, America or Mozambique.

Way to keep a cool head. :rolleyes:

Punishment is not a deterrent. You think the death penalty deters people from killing others? Drinking and Driving punishments, have they had any effect on society?

Has any crime be eradicated due to punishment?

No they have not.

Speaking of ignorance and preaching about other countries, a few facts about the Netherlands.

- UNICEF rated it as the best country for children to live in, in regards to well being.
    - Culture and art includes - Van Gogh, Vermeer, Rembrandt.
    - Inventions: Telescope, Microscope, Mercury Thermometer, Pendulum Clock, Video Tape, Audio Tape, Compact Disk and CD-ROM.

So much for their greatest gift being the red-light district.
    Can you even find Holland on a map? :rolleyes:

• High Five High Five x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar